View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
JaimeMWS
FitDay Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilTulips View Post
I work around 65-75 hours per week (from 9am till 11pm) - sitting job, very limited activity. Taking into account commute time, it leaves no time for sleeping properly or for exercise. I've been trying to lose weight for quite some time, but instead slowly gaining more weight.

I have just joined FitDay and hope tracking what I eat will help. The question is: should I cut on sleeping for exercising or should I try to sleep properly and cut on calories?

I now aim to eat around 1000-1200 kcal per day, with increase during weekend, when I can dedicate some time for walking/ running/ roller-skating and other activities.

I'm 5'8, 165 pounds, aiming to lose around 20 pounds I've gained in last 3 years to get back to my comfortable weight...
Hi AprilT - I had this situation some years ago - working in a high-commitment professional job, with a long commute, and a young child. For me, the low-carb way worked better than the low-calorie exercise way. I successfully lost weight and kept it off with a book "The Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program." It worked for me too because the restaurants that were regular lunching spots for me and my colleagues offered food that fit in the plan (chicken caesar salad hold the croutons or cheeseburger with salad), and it allowed for a dinner that my family would also eat. Now, I hadn't been dieting before starting the plan, and low-carb dieting messes with our metabolism. And it was pre-menopause. Now I am post-menopause I seem to need to be stricter in counting carbs and calories than that program. And each one of us responds differently to different eating programs. But rather than adding to stress hormones with even less sleep and low-calorie eating, you might explore other approaches. (By the way, for those worried about fat in foods - when I had a comprehensive physical after being on this eating plan for 5 years the only abnormality was that my "good cholesterol" was unusually high and my "bad cholesterol" was unusually low.) Best wishes, and good luck! Jaime
JaimeMWS is offline   Reply With Quote