Thread: Atkins
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #327 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

I've come to my personal conclusion that net carbs are just a marketing trick. "Atkins" bars are still a processed product that they're trying to get you to buy. Based on the numbers you gave, the net carb should be 10g for hazelnut and 13g for indulge.

For nutrition labels, I've realized that starches are the only unaccounted factor, but they still easily break down into free sugar. Free sugar is listed under "sugar," so net carb = starch = basically sugar = total carb - sugar alcohols (undigested) - fiber (not metabolized as carb, but as fat). Nutrition labels don't require starches to be listed separately, but net carb is supposed to essentially measure starch content. Maybe it's just bad math on the part of the marketers.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote