Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > MEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just men
Struggling with a body building diet quite a lot! >

Struggling with a body building diet quite a lot!

Community
Notices

Struggling with a body building diet quite a lot!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Struggling with a body building diet quite a lot!

This is my first post and i hope you guys can see my calorie breakdown for the last 3 days. So basically i have been at the gym for about a week and a half. The first week was loosing a bit of unwanted fat with light weight lifting and i saw good results with 4 kg loss in a week and some muscle gain. For the last 3 days i have began to try and bulk up with muscle but as you can see i am in high calorie deficit. Can i have some information on better foods and the number of protein shakes i should be drinking.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hi daz, we can't see your info. You need to go into your user options, make your log public, then post the link in one of your posts. I'm sure that someone will give you some feedback then!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

hi sorry where would the user options be located. thankyou
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Go to the Profile Tab, scroll down till you see the Public Journal option; you should see something that you can click on that says Public Settings page, then once you do that, you get a screen that says Make My Journal Public. Once you do that, you need to take the web link and post it in the forum (you can do that on this thread if you want, and/or in the exercise thread).
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thankyou for your help.

daz18 - free online diet and fitness journal
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

I am going to have a protein shake before i go sleep but i am in a 1765 for today. I focused on biceps triceps and lats today and i think my protein and carbs percentage is high in comparison to fat. Footbal today was out of the blue but should i be stopping cardio. i Still want to lose fat because i still have a bit on my belly and thighs. Will i be burning muscle with the cardio. Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Muscle burn only accounts for appx. 5% of calories during cardio. Not enough to worry about, that's only 1 gram of protein per mile run. Keep the cardio, it helps keep the fat off. Your pro./fat/carb. ratios look very good.

When I was training to ride a century on my handcycle, I was riding 120-180 miles/week, 2 hours daily lifting and I maintained my weight at 182-185 during that time.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Protein has the necessary amino acid building blocks your body needs to build and repair muscle. You can't get these from carbs or fats.

If you want to build muscle you need to increase your protein intake to .75 to 1.0 grams per pound of lean body weight. (So if you weight 200 pounds and have 20% body fat your lean body weight is 180 and you need between 135 and 180 grams of protein per day.) Build the rest of your daily calories around protein and you will be able to see consistent results.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Daz, when you say you are trying to build some muscles do you mean tone up to show more muscles or (as an example) add inches to your arms, chest, thighs etc?

It's been my experience that "adding" muscles in a dieting phase is near imposssible due to the fact you are taking in less calories then required, to burn fat and tighten up which means your calories aren't being used to build muscles but to sustain your current body.

If you just meant to get more definition that's another topic there.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
FitDay Member

You need to choose one goal and stick with it for at least a few months.

Build muscle/gain weight = 500kcal over maintenance/day would equal around 1lb gain a week. Some fat will be added while gaining muscle but as long as you don't eat too much over maintenance requirements it won't be too much.

Opposite for weight loss. -500kcal/day equals 1lb weight loss per week.

BTW the reason this math works is 3500kcal=1lb.

Oh and you didn't lose 4kg of fat in a week. The liver cannot breakdown that much fat in a week. 1kg at most. But when you first start a "diet" for weight loss you will lose a fair amount of water weight if carbs and sodium lowered.

Do not expect over night results and once again stick to a proper diet and training program for you desired results and over a few months you will be happy with your results.

Best of luck