View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
edahlt
FitDay Member

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I absolutely love it! Wish every meal were breakfast.

I have a few different things that I tend to rotate through.

Oatmeal: I hatehatehate plain oatmeal, and instant is way too sweet for me. I like to cook up a batch of oatmeal using soymilk and add sliced banana, chopped apples, or other fruit and either peanut butter or almond butter (always all-natural: one ingredient only) while it's cooking so it sort of melts in. The banana makes the oatmeal almost creamy, which is absolutely lovely, but I think I discovered my favorite combination this morning:
1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup vanilla soymilk (or regular milk, if you're so inclined), 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, and 1 tbsp peanut butter. The blackberries sort of dissolved in the pot and turned the oatmeal a lovely purple shade and added just the right amount of sweetness and flavor.

Scrambles: Tofu, spices (curry powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and black pepper, usually), kale, spinach, tomato, and red or orange pepper all in a skillet. If I know I'll be having a lot of protein later, I'll omit the tofu and just have a vegetable breakfast. Obviously, you could substitute eggs in for the tofu if you want.

Smoothies: I blend 12 oz of soft, silken tofu, banana, berries, kale and spinach then pour it into a bowl. In the microwave, I melt a tbsp of peanut butter or almond butter, pour it over the smoothie mixture, and top it with some high-fiber granola or cereal.

Note that often breakfast is my biggest meal of the day, so halving some of these recipes (particularly the smoothie one) might be more your thing.

Starting over for the last time.
Height: 5'4"
Start Weight: 141 lbs
Current Weight: 139 lbs
1st Goal Weight: 133 lbs (7/21)

2nd Goal Weight: 125 lbs (8/31)
UGW: 115 lbs (11/20)
edahlt is offline   Reply With Quote