Notices

Hi, I'm new!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Hi, I'm new!

Hi,

I just started FitDay a couple days ago. Like many others, I have had a life-long struggle with my weight. I am 40-ish and at a record high of 248lb. I feel paniced and depressed about it, but know I need to turn this around now.

My goal is:

Current Wt, Height: 248lb, 5'10"
Goal, by June 30: 200lb
Total lbs to Lose: 48 lb
Rate: +/-2lb/week

I am not participating in any weight loss 'programs', as I have tried many in the past including Weight Watchers and Tops. My plan is to diligently track my food intake via FitDay (I love seeing a snapshop of my daily calories and nutrition, I find that very motivating!). I am going to use my treadmill everyday, and participate in the forums.

My main reason for losing is that I want to feel good in my own skin and be healthy again! Really motivated to finally DO THIS!

Anyone else out there with a similar goal?

Shell
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Shell, I'm 29, I weigh somewhere around 300 (I've had two scales give me drastically different numbers, my digital says I'm in the 330's, my friend's analog says 305 and I'm more apt to trust the analog, as the digital one acting weird anyway. I need to go buy my own scale) so I have a much longer way to go, but right now I'm trying to get to 285 per my friend's analog by the end of March. I've been on all the programs, too, and am now doing it on my own via logging through FitDay and talking anyone's ear off on the boards. I think its great that we have to forums to pose questions, or just sound off frustrations. I feel much better being able to talk about the challenges and victories, big or small, with a group of like minded folks. Especially since I feel like this has taken over my life, at least while I adjust. Good luck to you, and remember, we're always here for you so if you're struggling or anything, sound off, we're listening!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi DB,

Thanks for posting, and for the kind words of support!!!! All the best of luck to you too. We all have our unique journey, and while we are all at different stages, we all have the same goal to lose weight/get healthy.

I think these forums are just great, I have just been reading through them today. I feel this mission has sort of taken over my life right now too, but the new lifestyle changes should come to feel natural in time. Yes, takes awhile to settle into it.

I decided to take my measurements (just measuring my bust/waist/hips). I tend to step on the scale everyday (or multiple times a day.....) if I have one too handy, and that can be discouraging. I used to keep the scale in the kitchen, thinking it might motivate me..lol So, I put the scale in a closet, and am only going to weigh myself once in awhile. I carry most of my weight around my belly, it will feel good to see that number decrease.

What are you doing for exercise? Me, I am walking and stretching. Committing to 1/2 hr on the treadmill or outside, per day, for now. Will ramp that up. I really like the food tracker here; it is easy to use, fast and excellent! I am very stats oriented, like to see the nutritional values and all the different progress graphs.

Thanks for being here!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry I forgot to include my name in my intro, I'm Diane. I am mainly doing exercise videos that I find on my cable's on demand channel. My claim to shame is that I do actually own some Richard Simmons videos, but he irritates the piss out of me, so I either spend the workout cussing at him, or deciding I can't deal with him that day so I don't. I know its probably kind of buying into the show, but I really do enjoy The Biggest Loser workouts that I've tried so far. For being just twenty minute snippets of the whole video, they are intense! I mentioned in another post that Bob destroyed my legs and for about two days I was waddleing around the apartment! I know I'm going to hear that its not really exercise, but today was laundry day. We live on the third floor, the machines are in the basement, and it was four trips up and down the stairs, most of them with a full laundry basket, so I'm about done for the day! I can reall feel it in my shoulders, since my basket is one of the tall ones, and I have to hold it up so it clears the steps.

Ultimately I'd like to join the all women's gym down the street. I'd like access to the elipitical machines, it would make it easier to get more effective cardio, since my right ankle has arthritis due to an injury a few years ago. I don't really use that as a crutch or an excuse, but if I have the opportunity to be a little nicer to it I'll take it. Its also very reasonably priced at around fifteen dollars a month.

I used to walk with a couple of friends, we made it about a year, and I think by the time we broke up we were walking a little over three miles every day. I'd like to get back into something like that, I just need to find some folks that are actually interested in doing it. My best friend has two kids and lives almost fourty minutes away, and the other one of the three of us besides myself that was there literally every week day, rain, shine, cold or heat, lives a couple of counties over now. I miss spending the time with them too. Which is another reason I want to join the gym, I'm hoping I can find a work out buddy to meet up with at least some of the time I'm in there. I do much better when I have someone to talk to and break up the monotony.

Tomorrow is my measurement day, so I'll update you on how it goes! It adds some much needed accountability and, hopefully!, motivation.

Are you finding that you're balancing your nutritional needs all right? I'm surprised at how easy it actually is to get a pretty balanced diet day to day. I'm very facinated with this topic. To the point where I'm kind of considering going back to school and maybe getting a degree in nutrition. Its really neat to see just what food can do for you and knowing that you don't HAVE to go out and buy vitamins. I'm also really getting into eating non-processed foods and organic when we have the money for it. It makes me happy to not put crap into myself!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default hi!

My name is Melissa and I am new as well. I am only 20 years old and weight about 240. I hope to be around 200 by May. I want to celebrate my 21st birthday looking and feeling good. I have struggled with weight all my life. I have a big build like you. I am 5'8 and am rather broad. It was never fun especially during my teen years being the overweight one when all my friends were parading around in bikini's and form fitting clothes. I want this to be the year I finally succeed. Every year I say I am going to do this, and i never do and I am tired of it. I hope you achieve your goals. I admire that you are doing something for yourself. Everyone deserves to feel good in their own skin. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Diane,
Thanks for posting your name! I am not a fan of Richard Simmons, but I must admit, he is high energy and motivating!!! lol Laundry can be exercise, especially when stairs are involved, that is for sure! Using my treadmill (an excellent quality one, which I have had for years, and not made good use of). Considering going swimming again too. I find my iPod helps alot to make the time fly by on the treadmill. I am trying to keep things simple. In the past I have gone all gung-ho with exercise classes, DVD's etc. and just wore myself out, and became burned out too quick. I am mainly focussing on getting power walking in daily - for right now anyways!

I do find my nutritional needs are somewhat balanced, although my fat percentage is a little high (I know it is due to too much cheese and nuts), need to focus on cutting back on those. I am facinated by this topic too. Very interesting. Looking at the breakdown does help me to make wiser choices. I am getting off the processed food too. Eating whole and raw foods alot more. I struggle with evening snacking. I seem to do alright as far as eating wisely during the day. All about moderation, hey?

Hi there Melissa,
Welcome, Nice to see some newbies around! I totally understand what you are saying. I am big-framed too. I have never had a bikini body myself and was always the biggest and tallest in my classes while I was growing up. It is not easy.

From my mid-20's to mid-30's, I was around 190-200lb, and quite comfortable with my body, how I felt, how I looked, and I had alot of energy. I worked out on and off, walked quite a bit, and was in pretty good shape. I would be happy to get to 200lb again. Once I am there, perhaps I will lose more. But getting to 200lb is all I can think of right now.

I admire you too for your determination to do this! And to do it while you are still so young. It is true when people say that as you get older it is harder to lose weight...I know that first hand!

I want to incorporate a healthy lifestyle so the weight comes off, and stays off, for once and for all. I believe this is the year I am finally going to do it too. I have been procrastinating for longer than I like to admit..! We can do it!!! Keep posting!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
FitDay Member

that is so awesome that you felt so good at 200 pounds! I am the same way. I weighed about 204 at my senior prom and my mom recently said it's the best weight for my body being that I am just the way im built. that felt so good to hear because i like being a bigger girl. i dont find woman who are skinny that attractive. a lot of my friends think if i get to my goal weight i can be a plus size model and i would love that! i wanna show girls that there are more beautiful and healthy ways to be than a size 2. i wish plus size models were more mainstream because it is true that girls start to starve themselves because they want to look like super models do. trust me it is not worth it. i myself am a former bulimic and although i was still 175 lbs at my lightest. i looked too thin for my frame and it didnt look good at all. This time when i lose the weight, i wanna do it the healthy way. and i am definitely not losing 100 pounds like doctors wants me to because skeletal really isn't my thing.

If you would like to contact me my email address is [email protected]. I would love to have some extra support and give some in return!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Melissa, if you want to chit chat any, I don't have full blown AOL, but I do have their messenger. my screen name is eloquinravenwing. I totally agree that skeletal is not pretty. I like having boobs and a butt!

Soooo...... I measured in..... I'm not thrilled, I didn't really see any change, and in a couple of places it seems like I gained a little. I realize that I shouldn't expect to see change every week, but I can't seem to stop myself from hoping for it.

I really really need to step up my exercise. I did really well the first week, and now I'm kicking off week five, and I really haven't established a good routine for myself yet. I think that's my main missing key. I don't think its time to cut back calories yet, because then I would be hungry all the time. I think I'm doing ok at 1800-1900 cal/day.

I think I'm just being impatient.

Enough obsessing for the moment, good morning, Shell and Melissa, I hope you're both having a good day! I'm gonna go find some activity to do!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Melissa, Diane,

Good for you Melissa for holding your own, and standing up for what you believe in. I agree with all you say. The media does alot to create eating disorders. From the time I was your age (ahem, 20 yrs ago! ), plus sized models are much more mainstream now. They were non existent back then, and there were no plus sized clothing stores to be found anywhere. I was somewhere around a size 12/14 then (that was the biggest size you could find in a regular store), so I could find clothes, barely. Often too short though.... People who were larger had to resort to buying men's clothes, or have them custom made. So, things have changed - although it has been very very slow!

In the past I have done some very unhealthy things to lose weight. I am all about healthy now too. I have set a goal of losing 2lb/week - I wonder if this is realistic? Maybe initially, but I will do my best and see what happens.

Hang in there Diane, it takes time for our bodies to adjust to the changes before we see results. I too need to ramp up my exercise. Hang in there!

Something else I am doing is eating 5 small meals per day. I find this wards off overeating, and is supposed to keep the metabolism up - and at a steady BURN!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Shell,

I am trying to lose close to 50lbs, I have been struggling with weight over the past 5 years, and its a challenge, I have been on this site for about a week and I decided to change for myself in 2010, I havent weighed myself yet but I m hoping for some improvements, Im trying to get more active and Ive changed a lot in my diet and im praying I can keep it up.

I dont believe in diets because I feel like its just a quick solution and once you come off it the weight comes back (its happened to me in various occasions with different diets) Ive said it before I think its about a lifestyle change, and long term goals.

Good luck with your goal and keep us posted on your successes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.