Notices

Small meals ideas

Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Small meals ideas

Hi! I have been dieting and using FitDay since the end of January with great success. My diet plan is basically many smalls meals thoughout the day with no large meals (and obviously healthy, low-calorie meals). I eat 8-10 mini meals a day (about 100-200 calories per meal) and have lost 37 pounds. I was wondering if anyone out there had some good recipes for snacking type foods, or cooking for one (which I can then split into 2 meals)....I am getting tired of eating the same foods since January. They work great for me but I need some variety!!

I currently eat:

Fruit (bananas, apples, oranges....)
Small salads
protein bars (I am training for a marathon too)
fiber bars
high fiber oatmeal
Almonds
Dried fruit
soups
beef jerky
veggies and fat free ranch (or hummus)
Hard-boiled eggs

I basically snack all day but limit myself to foods with high nutrition value for the amount of calories. I watch all my carbs/fat/protein/vitamins to make sure I have a well rounded day, but need more variety!

Thanks in advance for any help!

ps...most of the mini meals I was eating were based on convenience but I no longer work and have more time to make fresh foods now.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

here are a couple under 200 calorie snacks that I do from time to time:

1. can of chicken, but instead of mayo, I add fresh salsa. its filling and good protein. I've done this with canned tuna as well, but I find the chicken tastes way better to me.

2. I love quacamole, but its the chips that kill me. So I make fresh quacamole and instead of chips I dip in cucumbers or carrots.

Good luck. They say eating many small meals like you are is an excellent way to lose weight. Unfortunately for me with two young boys this regiment is next to impossible, but I LOVE that you are doing it, and sticking with it, and its WORKING.

Good luck. If I think of more, I will post again later...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Small meals/snacks that I use (besides what you already mentioned)

Greek yogurt (I like Chobani 0% fat...about 140cal/serving)
Pistachios
Mashed Sweet Potatoes (I will bake a whole batch and graze off the leftovers either for side dishes for snacks. I like to add a teaspoon or so of pureed Chipotle peppers with adobo sauce).
Sushi

I usually do 3 meals of around 400-500 cal each with 3 100-200 cal snacks. Has worked well for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of adding more sweet potatoes to the diet. I actually tried to make sweet potato chips yesterday and they were an epic fail. I couldn't get them to be crispy without tasting burnt

Keep them coming! :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Campbell's "soup in hand" kinda high in sodium but several varietes are less that 150 cal
Laughing Cow cheese w/ or w/o a whole wheat cracker
String cheese - usually about 60 cals per serving.
Steamed or boiled shrimp
Old 05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Tilapia is my go-to meal for low calorie decadence. It is cheap, cooks quickly and it tastes a lot richer than it is. Not sure if this is small enough for you, but here's one I make a lot when I'm tight on calories in the evening or low on protein:

Set your oven to broil and throw a tilapia fillet (mine are frozen and about 100 calories each) on some tinfoil, add salt and pepper to taste

Tilapia takes just a few minutes to cook, so...

While the fish is cooking, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil in a small skillet and heat on med-high.

Throw in about 1/4 tsp. (just a pinch) of red pepper flakes

Cook for about 30 sec. to 1 minute

Add about 2-3 Tbsp. of tomato paste, a pinch of salt, and about 1 tsp. dried basil, whisk it around and try to incorporate it into the oil and peppers

Cook for about 1 minute

Add about 2-3 Tbsp. of half and half and whisk into mixture

Cook for about 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth

Pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle shaved parmesan cheese on the top, if desired

For around 200-300 calories (depending on cheese and cream), you've got a really sinful-tasting dinner. Often, I'll wilt a little spinach right into the tomato sauce or I'll serve everything on a little polenta. With a small side of cottage cheese (like 1/4 or 1/3 cup) and a few spears of asparagus, this meal can be done for under 400 calories.

Another great way to prepare tilapia is to poach it in a small skillet with a little water, pepper, 1-2 tbsp white wine and/or lemon juice, some cherry tomatoes, arugula (or spinach) and a tablespoon of capers. If you have the calories to spare, about 1-2 tsp. of butter will really make this dish awesome.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yum, that sounds great Sailor. I keep meaning to try tilapia, but haven't gotten around to it. Your recipe has inspired me.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

thanks again everyone! The tilapia really does sound good....and easy to keep on hand if frozen!

I made a new sandwich yesterday that was fantastic!!!

Franz thin bread (100 calories)
Light Laughing Cow - Sundried tomato and basil (35 calories)
Roasted Red Peppers (12 calories)
Ton of Alfalfa Sprouts - (8 calories)

Total - 155 calories and yummy!! :-)

Going to try it again as a lettuce wrap and see if it is still good....
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

You can mix in soy nuts - those are low in calories and high in protein. Those could be topped onto a salad or plain. Cottage cheese goes well with fruit as well as veggies (pineapple was my favorite with it). Apples, carrots, and/or celery with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter is also very yummy. I have that for a snack at work a lot.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default small meals

If you think it will not be a "slippery slope," Lean Cuisine has some nice snack-type meals now that are about 150 calories. I like them in a pinch if I have nothing fresh on hand. They call them spring rolls but they're really spring roll inspired, with an Italian version and a Mexican version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.