View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
liberatedmist
FitDay Member

I'm training for my first marathon (only 17 days away!! )...anyway, here is what my training class told us when we aren't feeling motivated.

If you need to get your exercise completed in the morning, make your workout outfit the first thing you put on. Don't get dressed in different clothes or stay in pjs. Lay your workout gear out the night before and put it on as soon as you get out of bed...even if you are working out a few hours later. Then keep telling yourself, "well, I'm already dressed for it."

Try tricking your brain and lie to yourself. If you plan on running outside your house, tell yourself, "I'm just going to step outside and check the weather." Then, "I'm going to walk to the end of the block and see how my neighbor's flowers are growing." Then, "I might as well jog a little while I'm out here. What a great day." and so on....until you are running and your endorphins kick in. You can use the same idea for getting yourself to the gym. "I'm just going to go for a drive." "I need to pick up some more bananas." "Oh look, the gym, maybe I should stop in and see if that cute guy is in there." "I might as well walk around a little." "Hey, I like this machine...and nobody is using it. I am going to try it out for a minute.".....and so on. It sounds a little silly, but once you get started it sort of works. Just think in baby steps and tell yourself that you are actually doing something else.

What helps for me (since I am a little OCD ), is writing "go for a run" on my to-do list. I HAVE to cross everything off the list so it usually gets done.

Hope some of this helps!
liberatedmist is offline   Reply With Quote