Community
Notices

Potassium Foods

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Potassium Foods

Hi, I just started Fitday again after a several year break, and I'm trying to eat healthier and hopefully lose 10 pounds as well. The only thing I am having a hard time fufilling my RDA of is potassium. I know I'm getting it in my multivitamin, but I'm kind of a perfectionist, and I don't like seeing red on my nutrition report, you know what I mean? Back when I used to do it years ago, I don't remember what nutrient I was having trouble with (selenium), but I figured out that one Brazil nut a day got me over 100%! Does anyone know of some foods that Fitday considers high in Potassium? Thank you. - Stephanie
Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

I've got just the thread for you. Spent over 20 hours researching it, and there's nothing else like it on the internet because it's exhaustive:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post58725
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I've got just the thread for you. Spent over 20 hours researching it, and there's nothing else like it on the internet because it's exhaustive:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post58725
You're welcome, OPW!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Vito Vino. I love exhaustive resources related to my family's health, so I'll have to check into it. - Stephanie
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by FeldpauschFrench
Thank you Vito Vino. I love exhaustive resources related to my family's health, so I'll have to check into it. - Stephanie
Great. And great to see you return. Many times people ask questions and then never come back to reply. I hope you find the resource a blessing. It has helped plenty of folks, including myself.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM
FitDay Member

Its quite nice thread wich VitoVino give it must be helping you allot. follw it.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 PM
FitDay Member

For breakfast- Make yourself a nice banana smoothie with milk. You could also add blackberries, peaches, and strawberries- all are fruits with high potassium content, and they are great in smoothies.
For lunch- Enjoy a fresh spinach salad with tomatoes, turkey, bell peppers, and fresh mushrooms. The key is to keep away from the pre-made stuff. Keep to fresh ingredients whenever possible.
For dinner- You could make a nice roasted chicken and serve it with lima beans and green beans.
For dessert- Throw together a fruit salad with grapes, blueberries, apples, oranges, and raspberries.
For a snack: Keep a banana in your desk at work for a super charged potassium snack (400 mg) with low calories (80 per banana).
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you VitoVino! I am going to print this list for my class. None of my books have such an exhaustive list.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

It can be tricky. Without supplementation I hit most of my RDAs if not exceed them substantially. I'm pretty close on potassium. I was over yesterday but other days not so much.

The truly difficult, very challenging thing, is keeping sodium low. The recommended daily maximum I bet is exceeded by at least 95% of the population (seriously). Keeping it under the necessary limit requires almost total avoidance of processed foods and nothing canned unless it specifically says low in sodium or none added.

Salads are great for us but I was unable to find a single dressing yesterday at Walmart (I looked for around 2 min) that wasn't chock full of sodium.