lunch hour activity? >

lunch hour activity?

Community
Notices

lunch hour activity?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default lunch hour activity?

I have a very busy lifestyle, working around 9 hours a day at a bank in a different town and two toddlers at home, so most of the time, the only free time I have is my lunch hour at work. However, since I don't live where I work, I don't want to come back from my break all sweaty and gross. Does anyone have any suggestions as to something effective I could do over my lunch break?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Exercise sweat is clean. Assuming you shower before going to work, you should still be clean enough. Deodorant, baby wipes and a body powder should do the trick.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi musicgirl, I totally understand what you're saying. When I get into good cardio, it leaves my hair gross and hanging in strings, and I certainly wouldn't want to go back to work like that.

My thought would be to get out and take a good brisk walk at lunch, but save any heavy stuff for home. I know it's hard, especially with the little ones. There are a number of women on here who have figured out ways to do it, usually by getting up an hour or a half hour earlier.

It all comes down to making it a priority. I am totally in the same place (not with the toddlers, but I have family commitments running me crazy and am bringing a ton of work home lately to boot). Exercise slipped, but I eventually realized it is not going to make time for itself, so I had to get it in there. If it means something doesn't get done right then, then so be it. If it means my husband has to pick up some stuff I don't have time to do, that's what it means.

My suggestion is to start off small; walk at lunch, and maybe 3 times a week (possibly weekends are easier) schedule yourself to some time to really pound it out in an activity of your choice.

Any way you can keep weights at work and do some strength training there? Unless you're really hardcore, that's not quite as sweat-inducing as a run...
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

Walking just a half hour a day can add up to around 800 burned calories a week. (figuring you are walking a a brisk pace - around 3- 3.5 mph) You can even break that up into 2 - 15 minute sessions.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
FitDay Premium Member

A lunch time walk is not only great for you body, but can really help clear your head, and refresh your spirit.

As Cassie mentioned, often the only place to creat the time to exercise is first thing in the morning. It can be hard to drag yourself out of bed, and even for those of us that have been doing for years, there are definitely days when the pillow wins. But pretty much all of us morning exercisers will tell you it really gets the day off to great start. No matter what happens the rest of the day, you know you have accomplished at least 1 good thing for yourself.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Stairs! If I don't feel like going to the gym at lunch, I will walk up stairs for ten minutes. I also find a secluded area somewhere in the building to do lunges, squats, or jumping jacks. Hell, I used to keep a jumprope in my purse just so that if I got a jones for some activity I could use it. That was back in my gym rat days, though. You can find something to do if you're creative about it! And heck, even just walking around the block at a brisk pace will be better than nothing.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Spookycheeseofdoom
Stairs! If I don't feel like going to the gym at lunch, I will walk up stairs for ten minutes. I also find a secluded area somewhere in the building to do lunges, squats, or jumping jacks. Hell, I used to keep a jumprope in my purse just so that if I got a jones for some activity I could use it. That was back in my gym rat days, though. You can find something to do if you're creative about it! And heck, even just walking around the block at a brisk pace will be better than nothing.

Stairs! What a great suggestion!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

I am in the group of doing my exercise before I get ready for work. Usually 3 times during a work week and depending on the weekend usually twice.

During lunch I go for a walk. No speed records are set. I have to be presentable just like you working at a bank I deal with restaurant owners all day. I usually fit in 2 miles in 36 mins without breaking a sweat. I do have a hairbrush and hairspray in my locker in our restroom for windy days and a stick of deoderant. But I am not an easy sweater so I have only really broken a sweat in the real heat of the summer last year.