View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

I work out in the morning too, with the same goal - to lose as much fat as possible. I always have a piece of fresh fruit before my workout, usually a banana or an orange. Without those carbs, I don't have sufficient energy to get through my workout, which is usually full out on the elliptical for an hour. I wake up completely hollow, so I gotta have something. I'm not really into the protein powder thing, I prefer a big plate of food over pretty much any protein shake on the market. But I try and get a good bit of protein into breakfast. Generally I eat within 20 minutes after working out. It varies, but I usually eat one of the following:

1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 2 pieces of whole grain toast
1 1/2 cups cereal (usually Special K Chocolate Delight) with 1/2 cup of skim milk
toasted whole grain Slimwich with turkey cold cuts (70 cal for 6 slices) and 1 oz reduced fat cheese
2 pieces of whole grain toast (or Slimwich) with reduced fat peanut butter on one piece and low-sugar jam on the other
a Power bar and an apple (if I'm in a time crunch)
a 6 oz cup of Greek yogurt w/ 1/4 cup low-sugar jam added
a 6 oz cup of caramel Greek yogurt with a sliced up apple to dip in the yogurt
2 eggs w/ 2 slices of whole grain toast or a toasted Slimwich
2 slices of bacon, scrambled eggs and reduced fat cheese on a toasted whole grain Slimwich
Or my all time favorite, a 3 egg-white omelet with spinach or broccoli, onions, reduced fat cheese and a table spoon of ff sour cream on top, served of course with 2 pieces of whole grain toast.

I also like a cup or two of coffee in the morning, which I serve latte style with 1/2 cup of skim milk per 12 oz of coffee. I used creamer forever, but found that calorie for calorie, skim milk has a lot more nutritional value and is lower in fat than creamer or half & half. If I was going to use protein powder I would probably buy chocolate and stir it into my coffee.

I don't know what you're doing nutritionally, but I'm a low carber, follow a diet that is 1,600 calories per day, and I try to keep my pie chart at 40-35-25. My goal is to lose 124 pounds, and I'm a little better than 1/2 way there.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote