Notices

supplements

Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Default supplements

didn't know where else to put this question, so sorry if it's in the wrong spot. my HDL-P is a little low and my dr. recommended more fish oil. but, since i don't eat fish (except for tuna a few times a week), i'm thinking i should get an omega supplement. question is, i don't know what i'm looking for in a supplement. also, i've heard stories of fish burps from fish oil gel caps. that would really suck. don't want that! also, i need to find one that is the most economical as i'm on a pretty tight budget and can't afford to shell out a lot for supplements. i'm also having a hard time getting in enough fiber. maybe i should ask about fiber supplements too. thanks for any input.

~lisa
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Whole Foods has a pretty affordable large bottle of fish oil caps that are lemon flavored, no fishy burps. They have specified levels of the omegas EPA and DHA (the ones that are important) on the label so if you are trying to hit a specific target you know how much to take.

For fiber you should be able to find ground flax seeds. You can scoop these over oatmeal or cereal if that's your thing; I have found that they're actually pretty tasty mixed into guacamole (they give it a unique texture). You can also get creative and hide them in lasagna or meat loaf, or use them in breading mixture for fried chicken, etc. They're loaded with soluble fiber, the kind that helps lower cholesterol.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM

thanks for the help. i'll go to whole foods and check it out.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi lcriswell0421,

You might also look into Chia seeds, they contain lots of Omega 3s. Like flax seeds you can add them to various foods. There are a couple of new chia bars on the market now. One of them is 100 cals, which makes for a nice healthy snack.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Not all omega 3 is equal. I remember a few years back looking into flax seed oil and it was comparatively worthless, though maybe the science has a better understanding now. I use nature made or whatever the brand is at walmart, comes in capsules that don't readily digest--meaning that you don't get fish oil burps. In the past I've had some without this special coating and would taste it. Now I very rarely get any fish oil burp.