View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

This is from my response to you in the other thread:

The number of calories you "should" consume (based on what you burn) is set by FD based on the difference between your goal and current weight and your goal date (how long in between now and then). Basically, though, a good rule of thumb is to lose a pound a week, burn 500 more than you eat every day; for two pounds a week, burn 1000 more than you eat every day.

As far as "starvation mode," some people experience it and some do not. I for one plateau very quickly if I'm under 1200 for too long. However, some of our very successful "losers" here have never experienced it. I do believe that the conventional wisdom is that if it's going to happen, it doesn't kick in unless you go under 1200 for an extended time, though everybody (and every body) is different.

It usually takes some experimenting to find out the calorie range that satisfies you and also enables you to lose steadily, using the above as a guide.

It's hard to offer anything specific without any info on your particular statistics, so your mileage may vary.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote