Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
When the USDA calculates calories in raw fish/meat is it frozen or thawed? >

When the USDA calculates calories in raw fish/meat is it frozen or thawed?

Community
Notices

When the USDA calculates calories in raw fish/meat is it frozen or thawed?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default When the USDA calculates calories in raw fish/meat is it frozen or thawed?

In the USDA nutrition database (NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page) some foods like salmon, shrimp, meat and poultry are listed as raw and also cooked. When the calorie and nutrient content is measured in their lab for raw fish/meat/poultry is the product frozen or does the raw meat/fish/poultry mean that the calorie/ nutrient content was measures after it was thawed?

When calculating the calorie content of my food I am unsure to weigh it frozen or thaw it to get the most accurate nutritional info as listed in their database.

I apologize is this seems anal or OCD but I'm pretty strict with my calories.

Any info or clarification would be much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
FitDay Member

Maybe I don't understand your question but I believe the nutritional information would be the same for frozen or thawed. If the product included some water in the freezing process (some frozen chicken breasts I've purchased, come to mind, that look to have been misted or dipped in water to freeze them faster) then the weight frozen could make the nutrition information incorrect. (Water has no calories or nutrional value so an ounce of water would throw your calculation off by the nutrient values for an ounce of the product.) If the product was vacume packed or frozen in the package as it comes fresh from the grocery store the values should be the same. So if in doubt just use the thawed weight.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

They are talking raw or thawed, not frozen.