View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
IBswilson
FitDay Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
When you just do a search for broccoli (and other veggies, I assume), it automatically give you the values for it being cooked with butter or other fat.

To solve this, use the "browse foods" tab instead of search, find vegetables; I think broccoli falls under "dark green nonleafy vegetables." Then you can find whatever is most accurate, such as cooked, from raw (or frozen, or whatever), prepared without fat.

This, IMO, is one of the biggest bugs in the FD food list.

However, FD is undergoing a lot of changes and improvements lately, so this could be different in the near future.
This is mostly accurate - although I wouldn't consider it a bug. The FitDay database is based on the USDA food database.

The food I think you are looking for is "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" - 55 calories per cup, chopped. (The discrepancy here is that 1 cup of uncooked broccoli does not yield 1 cup of cooked broccoli.)

These foods are unlikely to change as we are committed to being as accurate as possible using USDA foods. We are, however, improving our search results so that these issues are less likely.

Try adding "boiled" to your search for vegetables i.e.: Search results for "Broccoli boiled" return "Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained" with and without salt as the first two results.
IBswilson is offline   Reply With Quote