Weight loss and prednisone >

Weight loss and prednisone

Community
Notices

Weight loss and prednisone

Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Weight loss and prednisone

Has anyone had any success losing weight while on prednisone or afterwards? I need some advice. I was started on 60 mgs for three weeks, now down to 50 mgs, will go down to 40 mgs for a week and then 5 mg increments hopefully to none. I have scleritis and the eye doctor and rheumotologist have put me on this med for inflammation. I am also trying to eat more whole foods to reduce the inflammation, exercise and take supplements. Any helpful advice would be great.

Thank you,

Robyn in Lake Worth
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

hi Robyn,

Years ago I was on prednisone on and off for the inflammation of Crohn's disease, I understand. I just ate as healthfully as I could and when I got off and my energy levels came back up I was able to get the weight off..I wish you well with your illness.

Nancy
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Meggietye
hi Robyn,

Years ago I was on prednisone on and off for the inflammation of Crohn's disease, I understand. I just ate as healthfully as I could and when I got off and my energy levels came back up I was able to get the weight off..I wish you well with your illness.

Nancy
Thank you so much for your input, much appreciated. Right now I am feeling low mentally and physically. I am really going to have to push myself, my immunity is low due to the pred and so I am catching colds so easily. Thanks for the encouragement!

;-)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Robyn,

I've not had an experience with pred (thank goodness) but my cousin was on it a few years ago and for a fairly long time too as I recall. She has Lupus, arthritis and some pretty severe allergies.

I do remember that she managed to lose 25 lbs. while on it I think it took her about 6 months, just eating right and trying to walk as much as possible. She can't do cardio or workout or any exercise like that, so she would get off the bus 2 stops early, things like that. She also got a pedometer and tried to get as close as she could to the recommended 10,000 steps a day.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by catebert
Hi Robyn,

I've not had an experience with pred (thank goodness) but my cousin was on it a few years ago and for a fairly long time too as I recall. She has Lupus, arthritis and some pretty severe allergies.

I do remember that she managed to lose 25 lbs. while on it I think it took her about 6 months, just eating right and trying to walk as much as possible. She can't do cardio or workout or any exercise like that, so she would get off the bus 2 stops early, things like that. She also got a pedometer and tried to get as close as she could to the recommended 10,000 steps a day.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!
Thank you, that is very encouraging!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Robyn, I was pretty low emotionally when on prednisone as well. It really messes with your mood, as if being sick isn't upsetting enough!! Don't worry, this too shall pass. If you can just make yourself walk, just the walking alone will enhance your mood plus burn calories. You can do this Robyn I believe in you!!

Nancy
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Nancy!! I wish you luck as well with your diet and exercise goals! This is a great support system!

Robyn