View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
liberatedmist
FitDay Member

Here is the chili recipe. It doesn't taste like chili.....more like a very thick bean soup to me. But I really like the sweet potato flavor in this one. It winds up being fairly high in calories, but it is all from vegetables and it is pretty filling so your serving size becomes pretty small.

Ingredients:

2T. Red Curry Paste (found in the Indian food section of tour grocery store.)
2tsp Ground Cumin Powder
4 Cups Vegetable Broth
2/3 - 1 Cup quinoa uncooked
1 large sweet potato (not yam) peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
1 large green pepper chopped (about 2 cups)
2 15oz cans red kidney beans
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
2 cups tomato puree (I sometimes use a little less because I don't like it to taste tomatoey....if you cut this, add a little more broth)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a 4 qt. pot add curry paste,cumin and a little broth. Mash the mixture and stir until smooth. Add the
remaining broth,quinoa,bell pepper and sweet potato. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover
tightly,reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 minutes or until the quinoa begins to absorb broth.
Add the beans,coconut milk,cayenne pepper and the tomato puree to the pot and stir to combine.
Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the soup is thickened.

This tastes even better the next day as the flavors meld together and I am guessing that it would freeze well. It is pretty mushy but tastes great! The first time I made this, I made the mistake of doubling the recipe....we were eating it forever!
liberatedmist is offline   Reply With Quote