View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rubystars
FitDay Member

Quote:
She did admit to being an emotional eater, many of us are or were. That's not always the case with everyone though. Some people just like to eat food that tastes good which is usually what's bad for us.
I had both problems. It's better now, but I still struggle with them sometimes, so I'm not passing judgment on anyone. It's a life-long struggle I think, although it does get better with time.

Quote:
While weight loss surgery won't "cure" the emotional part of it, maybe she will feel much better with herself because of the weight loss and SHE will make that change. All of us that lost or maintained have all done it for our own reasons.
If someone can cure the emotional/mental part of it, then they will be able to lose weight more naturally.

Quote:
I can agree and disagree with many things here, so let me "dissect" some things here. IMO "and" doesn't belong there. I don't think that people should wait until they are in danger of death before taking drastic actions. Also, a surgeon will not perform WLS unless the patient is extremely overweight.
You have a point there. I just think that WLS should be a last resort. I don't think it should ever be done just because someone happens to be fat. There are alternatives to permanent injury of this kind. There are medications that can help control appetite, there is that liquid I talked about, there are ways of spacing meals and the composition of them to help reduce hunger, etc. All these should be explored BEFORE even considering WLS.

Quote:
True, when all is said and done it is up to that person to control their eating. In some cases until it is said and done, WLS is a good option, if THEIR doctor and surgeon see fit. I'm not a doctor so I won't tell someone not to have WLC or to wait until they are knocking on deaths door.
I think a lot of doctors recommend WLS because they don't trust the patient to be able to lose weight naturally. I had a doctor tell me I was overweight and then immediately offer me drugs for it, without discussing diet plans or what I'd been eating at all. I told her I wanted to lose it naturally and she gave me an extremely skeptical look as if she didn't think I'd do it. I have also been told in the past I was a possible candidate for WLS because I was over 300 lbs. at the time. I told the doctors that it didn't make any sense to me to do that when I could just eat fewer calories.

Quote:
So if the choice they have to make is avoid "overeating", we both know that a smaller stomach WILL prevent that. So why did you avoided that part and turned it into "bad choices"? I'm confused, which is it?
Sorry I was unclear on that. The smaller stomach will cause an initial loss of weight because of restricted intake, but in the long run it doesn't guarantee that someone will hit their ideal weight, and it doesn't guarantee that someone won't gain all the weight back and then some.

It prevents you from eating large meals, but it doesn't prevent you from overconsuming calories, which is what really counts. There was a woman on a tv show called "Addicted to ice cream bars" and basically she undid all the progress she'd made from her WLS and got even fatter than before because she ate boxes of ice cream bars.

My friend has trouble buying healthy food because things like fresh produce are more expensive while fattening, unhealthy foods are often cheaper (like ramen noodles). She has a very limited amount of money as she's disabled and unable to work. Both of these women gained all the weight back and were again morbidly obese. The WLS was not a cure for their problem at all. Now my friend still has complications from the surgery AND is still morbidly obese. She had a net negative effect from it, not a positive one. I think there are many stories like this. A smaller stomach doesn't prevent you, for example from drinking kool aid, or sugar soda, or other things that pack on the pounds.

Quote:
Being over weight may have been in your friends head... is that what you meant to say? I'm guessing that your friend gained her weight back and that's may be why you are against it? My brother also gained his weight back, but not everyone does so I try not to make a blanket statement based on the ones that weren't strong enough to change for the long haul.
I think it's in everyone's head, unless they have a real physical issue such as thyroid problems or other physical reasons why their weight is not directly tied to calories in versus out. For the vast majority of people though, it really is that simple. You eat less than you burn, you lose weight. WLS only prevents you from eating big meals, it doesn't prevent you from overconsuming calories, and that's key. Food doesn't fly through the air and force itself down anyone's throat. At the end of the day you still CHOOSE what to put inside your body. Food addiction or not, emotional ties to food or not, mental issues with food or not, you still have to make that choice, and live with whatever choices you make.

Quote:
Seeing that Mama_Loca is new here, I don't know if it's in her head or not and I surely don't want to pass that judgement on her. I would trust that HER doctor and surgeon have already discussed this with her, if it is an issue.
I'm not saying that she should absolutely not get surgery, but I want her to be aware there are alternatives. Surgery should be an absolute last resort. I would rather see someone use that liquid to temporarily make their stomach smaller than to undergo dangerous and potentially lethal surgery that will leave a permanent multilation on a life-sustaining organ of their body. She said she's losing weight now and hopes to be at a certain weight by the time of her surgery. Instead of surgery, why not continue that progress? She's doing it! She's making it! Why have surgery at all then?

Quote:
True, the surgery will force someone to reduce their calorie intake for a while. Hopefully before or during that time, if there are other (emotional) issues it can be resolved. It should be her choice of what she puts in her body, some people are stronger than others. Some make the choice pretty easily while others may see a McDonald's commercial and feel the need to hop in the car and chase down the golden arches. Some people may have a FOOD ADDICTION that has nothing to do with an emotional disorder. Some people may just like to eat. Not everyone that overeats is in the corner of a dark room crying as they console themselves with a bag of chips.
Food addiction is not related to how large someone's stomach is. Someone doesn't have a food addiction because they have a normal, healthy, natural stomach. People have a food addiction for other reasons and mutilating the stomach will not cure the mental or emotional reasons that are causing the problem.

Quote:
Weight loss surgery is not weight loss surgery? OP had surgery and lost 23 pounds in less than than many days. I would say that she lost weight due to the WLS which would mean that it has the correct name. I'm confused again, you were just saying "You can do that on your own by choosing not to eat over a certain amount of calories." and now your recommending drinking some liquid that shrinks her stomach. Why would she need that if she can do it on her own?

IMO people should be able to control what that eat but should doesn't mean can or will.
The liquid is temporary, it doesn't cause permanent internal mutilation. It doesn't come with the major risks and complications (including possible death) that the surgery comes with. It can help people while they deal with the emotional side of things without causing permanent mutilation. At the end of using it, people still have a healthy, normal sized stomach to be able to eat regular sized portions of nutritional foods.

WLS controls the volume of food people eat at one time, but it doesn't necessarily restrict calories in the long term and it doesn't guarantee permanent weight loss or maintenance of weight loss. Someone can choose to put a smaller volume of food in their stomach without the stomach itself being smaller, but if that's difficult for emotional or mental reasons then those issues need to be dealt with, and the person might need help temporarily in the form of appetite suppressants or that liquid I was talking about.

WLS might be a good option for people in some cases, but I think that the real problem I have with it is that it's permanent mutilation with complications following with no guarantee of permanent weight loss of weight loss maintenance.

If someone can learn to deal with the mental/emotional side of being overweight, then WLS really becomes redundant.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote