Notices

frustrated after having the bypass surgery

Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy frustrated after having the bypass surgery

can anyone please help me ?

my name is Yandry, im 22 yrs old and now weighing 293lbs. i just had the gastric bypass surgery on May 7, 2012 weighing at 316lbs. my goal is to be 160lbs.

i used to be a emotional eater. i am now on stage 2 of my diet which is puree food. since my surgery i have to combine 48-64 oz of liquids, 3 meals, my protein shakes and medicines which includes Multivitamin,calcium twice a day and iron.

to be honest im so frustrated and mad. i cant eat anything except for sugar free Jell-o, greek yogurt, apple sauce, sugar free pudding and sugar free Popsicle. when i try something else i get nauseous and discomfort, it feels horrible i cant even drink water without having pain in my stomach, sometimes i get so sad and depress when i see my family eating and i cant, i get bored easily of eating the same food over and over. i feel weak and dizzy all the time, i have become so lazy dont even want to go out and when i do i have to stop and recover myself from the dizziness and short of breath.

can anyone share their story and help me out to feel better and what to eat, i was a sugar addict and its so hard to live without sweets.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi mszyandry, and welcome to FitDay.

We've had a few members who have been through WLS so hopefully some will chime in.

Meanwhile, keep your eye on the prize. No, you won't have the immediate gratification of a lot of the foods you used to eat, but you will have your overall health and you'll feel proud for a job well done. It takes time to form new habits, but once you get there you won't want to go back to the old ones. Have you talked to your doc about your dizziness and shortness of breath?

I can share that I have a cousin who had WLS a few years back. She reached her goal a while back and I believe she's about half her previous weight. She makes getting her protein a priority and it's worked well for her.

Good luck! Hope to see you around the forums!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 PM
FitDay Member

Weight loss surgery doesn't cure your emotional ties to food. That's something you need to work on separately. I also think it's at the root of the problem. The WLS might help you to lose weight more easily but if you don't get the emotional part worked on then it won't guarantee that you'll lose weight or keep it off.

I think that people's weight level is more in their heads than in their stomachs.

You knew this was going to be difficult and I am sorry that you're expecting more difficulty than you thought you would but you have to be able to know that it's worth it and find pleasure in other ways besides food.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

Yandry, I am preparing for WLS and I have also given much thought to what you are experiencing. You've only just had your surgery, this phase will end soon enough. Maybe try eating at a slightly different time then the rest of the family and separate yourself from the eating rituals for a short time. Out of sight, out of mind. Take a deep breath and think about how great it will feel to be healthy and energetic. If you're carrying around over 100 pounds of extra weight right now, think of what you'll be able to do with it gone. I'm talking faster than a speeding locomotive, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's Yandry!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mama_Loca
Yandry, I am preparing for WLS and I have also given much thought to what you are experiencing. You've only just had your surgery, this phase will end soon enough. Maybe try eating at a slightly different time then the rest of the family and separate yourself from the eating rituals for a short time. Out of sight, out of mind. Take a deep breath and think about how great it will feel to be healthy and energetic. If you're carrying around over 100 pounds of extra weight right now, think of what you'll be able to do with it gone. I'm talking faster than a speeding locomotive, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound, It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's Yandry!
I would suggest you not do the weight loss surgery unless you're extremely overweight and in danger of death from it. I'm against these kinds of surgeries for the most part because at the end of the day you will still have to control your eating. You will have to make a CHOICE to avoid overeating and having a small stomach will not prevent you from making bad choices.

I have a friend who had this and she's very morbidly obese again because she never dealt with the reasons why she overeats. Being overweight is in your head. Deal with the emotional issues you have with food or any other problems related to your mind and food and you will be able to lose weight more naturally.

All the surgery does is cause you to reduce your calorie intake for a while. You can do that on your own by choosing not to eat over a certain amount of calories. It's your choice what you put into your body. If you feel that you cannot control yourself in this regard then your problem is NOT that your stomach is too large. Your problem is mental/emotional.

WLS is misnamed. It's not weight loss surgery. All it does is mutilate your stomach. There is an alternative product, a sort of liquid you can drink that coats the inside of your stomach and makes it smaller temporarily. It's gotten really good reviews. I don't remember the name of it right now but a while back I saw an ad for it on fitday. I would recommend trying something like that before having a doctor basically ruin your insides.

I think even something like that would only be a temporary fix although it could help for a while.

You CAN control how much you eat, and you CAN do it without dissecting yourself.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mszyandry
can anyone please help me ?

my name is Yandry, im 22 yrs old and now weighing 293lbs. i just had the gastric bypass surgery on May 7, 2012 weighing at 316lbs. my goal is to be 160lbs.

i used to be a emotional eater. i am now on stage 2 of my diet which is puree food. since my surgery i have to combine 48-64 oz of liquids, 3 meals, my protein shakes and medicines which includes Multivitamin,calcium twice a day and iron.

to be honest im so frustrated and mad. i cant eat anything except for sugar free Jell-o, greek yogurt, apple sauce, sugar free pudding and sugar free Popsicle. when i try something else i get nauseous and discomfort, it feels horrible i cant even drink water without having pain in my stomach, sometimes i get so sad and depress when i see my family eating and i cant, i get bored easily of eating the same food over and over. i feel weak and dizzy all the time, i have become so lazy dont even want to go out and when i do i have to stop and recover myself from the dizziness and short of breath.

can anyone share their story and help me out to feel better and what to eat, i was a sugar addict and its so hard to live without sweets.
A few things I see here.
1) You JUST had the surgery, your body is going through a huge shock right now.
2) My brother had gastric bypass and at first he couldn't eat hardly anything and he felt the same way you do. He had a hard time holding down food.
3) As far as being lazy a couple things come to mind... you are severely calories restricted and you're carrying a good bit of extra weight. Both of those will kill your energy level.
4) As for sweets, I'd try to ween yourself off of them as quickly as possible so you'll have a better chance of not going back to those old habits.

Originally Posted by Rubystars
Weight loss surgery doesn't cure your emotional ties to food. That's something you need to work on separately. I also think it's at the root of the problem. The WLS might help you to lose weight more easily but if you don't get the emotional part worked on then it won't guarantee that you'll lose weight or keep it off.

I think that people's weight level is more in their heads than in their stomachs.

You knew this was going to be difficult and I am sorry that you're expecting more difficulty than you thought you would but you have to be able to know that it's worth it and find pleasure in other ways besides food.
She did admit to being an emotional eater, many of us are or were. That's not always the case with everyone though. Some people just like to eat food that tastes good which is usually what's bad for us. While weight loss surgery won't "cure" the emotional part of it, maybe she will feel much better with herself because of the weight loss and SHE will make that change. All of us that lost or maintained have all done it for our own reasons.

Good luck on your WLS!

I would suggest you not do the weight loss surgery unless you're extremely overweight and in danger of death from it.
I can agree and disagree with many things here, so let me "dissect" some things here. IMO "and" doesn't belong there. I don't think that people should wait until they are in danger of death before taking drastic actions. Also, a surgeon will not perform WLS unless the patient is extremely overweight.

I'm against these kinds of surgeries for the most part because at the end of the day you will still have to control your eating.
True, when all is said and done it is up to that person to control their eating. In some cases until it is said and done, WLS is a good option, if THEIR doctor and surgeon see fit. I'm not a doctor so I won't tell someone not to have WLC or to wait until they are knocking on deaths door.

You will have to make a CHOICE to avoid overeating and having a small stomach will not prevent you from making bad choices.
So if the choice they have to make is avoid "overeating", we both know that a smaller stomach WILL prevent that. So why did you avoided that part and turned it into "bad choices"? I'm confused, which is it?

I have a friend who had this and she's very morbidly obese again because she never dealt with the reasons why she overeats. Being overweight is in your head. Deal with the emotional issues you have with food or any other problems related to your mind and food and you will be able to lose weight more naturally.
Being over weight may have been in your friends head... is that what you meant to say? I'm guessing that your friend gained her weight back and that's may be why you are against it? My brother also gained his weight back, but not everyone does so I try not to make a blanket statement based on the ones that weren't strong enough to change for the long haul. Seeing that Mama_Loca is new here, I don't know if it's in her head or not and I surely don't want to pass that judgement on her. I would trust that HER doctor and surgeon have already discussed this with her, if it is an issue.

All the surgery does is cause you to reduce your calorie intake for a while. You can do that on your own by choosing not to eat over a certain amount of calories. It's your choice what you put into your body. If you feel that you cannot control yourself in this regard then your problem is NOT that your stomach is too large. Your problem is mental/emotional.
True, the surgery will force someone to reduce their calorie intake for a while. Hopefully before or during that time, if there are other (emotional) issues it can be resolved. It should be her choice of what she puts in her body, some people are stronger than others. Some make the choice pretty easily while others may see a McDonald's commercial and feel the need to hop in the car and chase down the golden arches. Some people may have a FOOD ADDICTION that has nothing to do with an emotional disorder. Some people may just like to eat. Not everyone that overeats is in the corner of a dark room crying as they console themselves with a bag of chips.

WLS is misnamed. It's not weight loss surgery. All it does is mutilate your stomach. There is an alternative product, a sort of liquid you can drink that coats the inside of your stomach and makes it smaller temporarily. It's gotten really good reviews. I don't remember the name of it right now but a while back I saw an ad for it on fitday. I would recommend trying something like that before having a doctor basically ruin your insides.

I think even something like that would only be a temporary fix although it could help for a while.
Weight loss surgery is not weight loss surgery? OP had surgery and lost 23 pounds in less than than many days. I would say that she lost weight due to the WLS which would mean that it has the correct name. I'm confused again, you were just saying "You can do that on your own by choosing not to eat over a certain amount of calories." and now your recommending drinking some liquid that shrinks her stomach. Why would she need that if she can do it on her own?

You CAN control how much you eat, and you CAN do it without dissecting yourself.
IMO people should be able to control what that eat but should doesn't mean can or will.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 05-27-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mama_Loca, I love your positive attitude!

Everyone takes a different journey through this process. What works for some may not work for others; best of luck with the path you are choosing and I hope you continue to come back here. It is a wealth of knowledge and support.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:36 PM
FitDay Member

She did admit to being an emotional eater, many of us are or were. That's not always the case with everyone though. Some people just like to eat food that tastes good which is usually what's bad for us.
I had both problems. It's better now, but I still struggle with them sometimes, so I'm not passing judgment on anyone. It's a life-long struggle I think, although it does get better with time.

While weight loss surgery won't "cure" the emotional part of it, maybe she will feel much better with herself because of the weight loss and SHE will make that change. All of us that lost or maintained have all done it for our own reasons.
If someone can cure the emotional/mental part of it, then they will be able to lose weight more naturally.

I can agree and disagree with many things here, so let me "dissect" some things here. IMO "and" doesn't belong there. I don't think that people should wait until they are in danger of death before taking drastic actions. Also, a surgeon will not perform WLS unless the patient is extremely overweight.
You have a point there. I just think that WLS should be a last resort. I don't think it should ever be done just because someone happens to be fat. There are alternatives to permanent injury of this kind. There are medications that can help control appetite, there is that liquid I talked about, there are ways of spacing meals and the composition of them to help reduce hunger, etc. All these should be explored BEFORE even considering WLS.

True, when all is said and done it is up to that person to control their eating. In some cases until it is said and done, WLS is a good option, if THEIR doctor and surgeon see fit. I'm not a doctor so I won't tell someone not to have WLC or to wait until they are knocking on deaths door.
I think a lot of doctors recommend WLS because they don't trust the patient to be able to lose weight naturally. I had a doctor tell me I was overweight and then immediately offer me drugs for it, without discussing diet plans or what I'd been eating at all. I told her I wanted to lose it naturally and she gave me an extremely skeptical look as if she didn't think I'd do it. I have also been told in the past I was a possible candidate for WLS because I was over 300 lbs. at the time. I told the doctors that it didn't make any sense to me to do that when I could just eat fewer calories.

So if the choice they have to make is avoid "overeating", we both know that a smaller stomach WILL prevent that. So why did you avoided that part and turned it into "bad choices"? I'm confused, which is it?
Sorry I was unclear on that. The smaller stomach will cause an initial loss of weight because of restricted intake, but in the long run it doesn't guarantee that someone will hit their ideal weight, and it doesn't guarantee that someone won't gain all the weight back and then some.

It prevents you from eating large meals, but it doesn't prevent you from overconsuming calories, which is what really counts. There was a woman on a tv show called "Addicted to ice cream bars" and basically she undid all the progress she'd made from her WLS and got even fatter than before because she ate boxes of ice cream bars.

My friend has trouble buying healthy food because things like fresh produce are more expensive while fattening, unhealthy foods are often cheaper (like ramen noodles). She has a very limited amount of money as she's disabled and unable to work. Both of these women gained all the weight back and were again morbidly obese. The WLS was not a cure for their problem at all. Now my friend still has complications from the surgery AND is still morbidly obese. She had a net negative effect from it, not a positive one. I think there are many stories like this. A smaller stomach doesn't prevent you, for example from drinking kool aid, or sugar soda, or other things that pack on the pounds.

Being over weight may have been in your friends head... is that what you meant to say? I'm guessing that your friend gained her weight back and that's may be why you are against it? My brother also gained his weight back, but not everyone does so I try not to make a blanket statement based on the ones that weren't strong enough to change for the long haul.
I think it's in everyone's head, unless they have a real physical issue such as thyroid problems or other physical reasons why their weight is not directly tied to calories in versus out. For the vast majority of people though, it really is that simple. You eat less than you burn, you lose weight. WLS only prevents you from eating big meals, it doesn't prevent you from overconsuming calories, and that's key. Food doesn't fly through the air and force itself down anyone's throat. At the end of the day you still CHOOSE what to put inside your body. Food addiction or not, emotional ties to food or not, mental issues with food or not, you still have to make that choice, and live with whatever choices you make.

Seeing that Mama_Loca is new here, I don't know if it's in her head or not and I surely don't want to pass that judgement on her. I would trust that HER doctor and surgeon have already discussed this with her, if it is an issue.
I'm not saying that she should absolutely not get surgery, but I want her to be aware there are alternatives. Surgery should be an absolute last resort. I would rather see someone use that liquid to temporarily make their stomach smaller than to undergo dangerous and potentially lethal surgery that will leave a permanent multilation on a life-sustaining organ of their body. She said she's losing weight now and hopes to be at a certain weight by the time of her surgery. Instead of surgery, why not continue that progress? She's doing it! She's making it! Why have surgery at all then?

True, the surgery will force someone to reduce their calorie intake for a while. Hopefully before or during that time, if there are other (emotional) issues it can be resolved. It should be her choice of what she puts in her body, some people are stronger than others. Some make the choice pretty easily while others may see a McDonald's commercial and feel the need to hop in the car and chase down the golden arches. Some people may have a FOOD ADDICTION that has nothing to do with an emotional disorder. Some people may just like to eat. Not everyone that overeats is in the corner of a dark room crying as they console themselves with a bag of chips.
Food addiction is not related to how large someone's stomach is. Someone doesn't have a food addiction because they have a normal, healthy, natural stomach. People have a food addiction for other reasons and mutilating the stomach will not cure the mental or emotional reasons that are causing the problem.

Weight loss surgery is not weight loss surgery? OP had surgery and lost 23 pounds in less than than many days. I would say that she lost weight due to the WLS which would mean that it has the correct name. I'm confused again, you were just saying "You can do that on your own by choosing not to eat over a certain amount of calories." and now your recommending drinking some liquid that shrinks her stomach. Why would she need that if she can do it on her own?

IMO people should be able to control what that eat but should doesn't mean can or will.
The liquid is temporary, it doesn't cause permanent internal mutilation. It doesn't come with the major risks and complications (including possible death) that the surgery comes with. It can help people while they deal with the emotional side of things without causing permanent mutilation. At the end of using it, people still have a healthy, normal sized stomach to be able to eat regular sized portions of nutritional foods.

WLS controls the volume of food people eat at one time, but it doesn't necessarily restrict calories in the long term and it doesn't guarantee permanent weight loss or maintenance of weight loss. Someone can choose to put a smaller volume of food in their stomach without the stomach itself being smaller, but if that's difficult for emotional or mental reasons then those issues need to be dealt with, and the person might need help temporarily in the form of appetite suppressants or that liquid I was talking about.

WLS might be a good option for people in some cases, but I think that the real problem I have with it is that it's permanent mutilation with complications following with no guarantee of permanent weight loss of weight loss maintenance.

If someone can learn to deal with the mental/emotional side of being overweight, then WLS really becomes redundant.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hi mszyandry, and welcome to FitDay.

We've had a few members who have been through WLS so hopefully some will chime in.

Meanwhile, keep your eye on the prize. No, you won't have the immediate gratification of a lot of the foods you used to eat, but you will have your overall health and you'll feel proud for a job well done. It takes time to form new habits, but once you get there you won't want to go back to the old ones. Have you talked to your doc about your dizziness and shortness of breath?

I can share that I have a cousin who had WLS a few years back. She reached her goal a while back and I believe she's about half her previous weight. She makes getting her protein a priority and it's worked well for her.

Good luck! Hope to see you around the forums!

thank you for the support and yes i did spoke to my doctor about the dizziness and shortness of breath he said it was normal with the days i should be fine. my mom also did this surgery a year and 4 months ago and she said she also when trough all the changes im going trough, she said ill be better in a few days and that the emotional part comes along with this huge change that once i see my self going down on lbs ill feel so much better.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

i am working on my emotional part but is not easy when you come from a big family of eaters and your addicted to food. its easier said than done, but im working on it cause i made the decision on getting WLS to better my health.
im a strong girl and i know ill make it to the end and all this will payoff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.