View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Luciferi84
FitDay Member

Default Rapid weight gain, unable to lose it

Hi, all. I'm not new to FitDay, but I'm new to the forums. Hope I posted this in the right section. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight or suggestions or something... I'm really struggling.

In the past few months, I have been gaining weight very rapidly. I have no idea why and I cannot lose it.

Around early November, I weighed 135 pounds. I'm 25 years old, 5'8", female.

I was in the middle of a grueling two-month road tour, driving 400 miles or more every day, and obviously not getting a lot of exercise, eating a bunch of crap food, under a ton of stress, and not getting enough sleep. I've done these trips before, so I know the drill and on past trips, I always kept my weight under control- no more than a four pound gain, all told.

However, after spending the previous 5 weeks on the road and not gaining any weight, I suddenly packed on EIGHT POUNDS in the month of November! I chalked it up the road lifestyle and figured I'd lose it pretty quickly upon getting home and being healthy again.

By the end of December, I had gained another five pounds. I told myself it must have just been too many holiday cookies and I would have to spend more time at the gym.

During January and February, I got pretty strict with myself. I started using FitDay to count all my calories (approx 1800 a day) and I was spending upwards of two hours a day at the gym, working out at literally heart bursting levels.

In those two months, I gained a whopping additional seven pounds. It was not muscle weight. I could barely lift at all anymore, which one of the regular gym guys ever so kindly pointed out to me. (Actually, the weight gain has not been evenly distributed- it is almost exclusively in my midsection.)

I went to the doctor. She told me I definitely wasn't pregnant. We tested my thyroid. She said it was only slightly underactive and put me on a 25mcg dosage of Synthroid.

At least during the month of March, I didn't gain anything more, but I also did not lose anything. I spent all of March in the UK for business and the lifestyle there is very sedentary with not a lot of opportunities to have healthy food. But I certainly wasn't pigging out and in the past I have often lost weight in the UK just because there is no food there that I like.

After three weeks on the Synthroid, I doubled the dosage because it was not doing anything for any of my symptoms. I've had another blood test a week ago and was told my levels are right where they should be and that I could stay on the 50mcg dosage.

I'm back in the US, working out every day, gradually trying to get back to my pre-November fitness level and eating healthy again. No weight gain, but also no weight loss. According to FitDay, I have a 1000 calorie deficit every day, which ought to translate into weight loss of about two pounds per week.

I am absolutely devastated by this whole thing. I do not like being 152 pounds. None of my clothes fit anymore and I just generally feel gross and uncomfortable. I also feel like it's not really fair that I go and work out as hard as I do and not see any result from it. I am sick of my boss's comments that if I get any fatter he'll have to fire me. I just want to get back to my old weight. My doctor seems largely unconcerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And if you read this to the end, I thank you.)
Luciferi84 is offline   Reply With Quote