Notices

Help

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help

Ok so I lost 30 pounds two years ago using fitday. I lost 15 pounds a year ago using fitday. This spring I decided to get that last 20 off using fitday. I have been eating around 1100-1300 calories a day and workin out 1-2 hrs a day and I'm NOT loosing!! It's been a MONTH and I've not lost, I can SEE changes in my body but I'm starting to think this is insane and my body doesn't want to loose that last 20 pounds!! I don't know what else to do...I want a cheese burger and fries and a shake and to say screw it....how do I get the weight to start comin off?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

What is the reasonably healthy range for your height? How active are you when you aren't working out? (sedentary or moving around quite a bit?) How accurate are your measurements of the food you eat? I've noticed in my own case that unless I'm eating something that came from a package (packaged bread, for example), I'm not going to know the calorie count. So I stick with the packaged goods, for the most part. Do you ever eat in a restaurant, fast food or more upscale, and do you drink alcohol? I notice that I can eat really a lot of calories in an average restaurant meal. Alcohol completely throws off my dieting efforts, too!

When you work out, are you doing cardio?

Also, is your scale accurate?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi momma,
Sometimes the scale is not the best tool for understanding your body. If you are seeing changes in the right direction - that's really what you want, isn't it?

I have always been heavier than I think I should be, even when I was a slim and trim teenager. I just have a very compact little body compared to many women. I have couple friends who are my height but weigh a good 10 lbs less than I do, and yet they are a size larger than I am.

One of my friends have also noted that for her, she sees her measurement shrinking well before the scale registers the change.

So hang in there! And maybe put the scale away for a while. Try substituting a measuring tape to monitor your progress.

Let us know how it's going... we're all here for you
Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

...I am actully in the "overweight" section for my height according to Fitday's chart. Tho ppl tell me I'm thin. I can't really judge myself. I am typically not one to sit for long, I work retail so I'm always on the move. I mostly eat things I can count for instance pretzels, packaged meals etc. I don't eat out, and I seldom have a drink. I worked out so far 7 hrs 10 min this week in 3 days (haven't had many hrs at work and nothin much else to do) yup It's cardio and I end up dripping with sweat. My routine is never the same as I use several workout dvd's and an elliptical. I've done everything "right" like I did the other times but instead of loosing I put on a pound...I just can't figure it out and am so ready to give it up!! What's the sense of counting calories and working out if i'm goin to GAIN?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I eat easily countable things to (packaged food, etc.) One thing to watch might be the sodium in those things. If you start eating lower sodium packaged stuff, or just go 'cold turkey' and eat only fresh food for a day or two, and your weight drops, then you'll know that is 'water weight' that is screwing up your numbers at the scale.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 PM
FitDay Member

I have been watching my sodium, and sugar as well. I can feel a change in my body i.e. tummy feels smaller, etc. But my pants aren't gettin baggy. Mb I'm workin out TOO much? I don't know, but I do know my body isn't loosing and it's maddening. Next week I have more hours at work which will mean less workout time, I hope that doesn't mean weight gain!! Don't know what else to try....
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Maggie,

Do you have a measuring tape at home? You can start measuring for inches/cms (whichever you like!) to help give you another number besides the scale, or even your pants, if you'd like the number-proof that things are changing.

Also, it looks like you're doing a lot of cardio. Have you thought about adding in strengthening workouts to your routine? Strengthening workouts can build muscle and help you burn more calories even at "rest" (or on your feet at work!). It might be that your body is used to the heavy cardio, and that scaling back and changing it up a bit might help "rekick" your start.

I see you're watching your sodium and sugar too, which is great! How much sodium do you think you consume daily? The RDA has recently lowered to 1500mg, which is much lower than it used to be. Sticking to that number is very hard when using packaged food and snacks.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
FitDay Member

I do have a tape here somewhere...I'll have to dig it out.

One of my workouts which I do a couple times a week has cardio and strength in it and I usually carry 2 pound weights in each hand during cardio. Tryin to have a well rounded workout. If my body went into "starvation mode" it did it from day ONE, and that makes no sense. I've tried to increase my workout time this week and eat a lil more calories. We'll see how that goes.

As for the salt, I don't cook with it, I don't eat many snacks with it. I don't count it. Mostly my snacks are salt free and or fruit. I stay away from grapes and those high in calories. Sugar I watch because when I lost the 40 pounds I became pre-diabetic. I know I'm backwards LOL.

As much as I want to give up and eat burgers and be lazy I don't think I can actually DO that. For starters I need somethin to do with my time LOL. Secondly I really want to get that last 20 off and hope it eliminates my diabeties isssue!

If my body has gone into starvation mode how the heck do I get it goin that I haven't tried? Will it start on its own eventually?