Notices

Pre-mixing Protein shakes??

Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Pre-mixing Protein shakes??

I tend to mix my protein shakes in the morning and take them to work with me, and was just wondering if anyone knew...

does it affect the protein value if it's been mixed, say 3-6 hours earlier??

any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I would hate to be wasting my money and not getting the optimum protein intake.

typical protein shake e.g, 3x 30 (21.6) gram scoops of whey/casein all together mixed with 500ml skimmed milk and a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil.

Thanks Kev
Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I can't imagine that the introduction of fluid would degrade the protein component of the powder, but I'm no expert. If it were a major concern I suppose one could bring the fluid in a container and wait to mix the shake (though I know using a blender works so well!). Personally, on the odd day I do a protein shake for lunch I blend it up in the morning and don't worry about it.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

its just with some foods, if you cook them the values change. and someone had asked me "does the milk effect the protein powder when left for a while" it had never occured to me before, but since then i've been curious. is milk like youghurt with bacteria? things that could possible alter it..
i know nothing when it comes to that sort of thing.
cheers