Notices

Senior Newbie

Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Question Senior Newbie

Hello,

I have been on Fitday before, but didn't post on any forums. I need to lose about 15-20 lbs and am having a difficult time of it. (no surprise there..lol). I am 5' 2" and weigh 140 lbs. We live at a retirement community and exercise 3 times a week with weights, bands, etc. I need to add some aerobic conditioning also. The exercise program is excellent here and we always feel stimulated afterwards. I also garden and we are otherwise pretty active.

My weakness is salty snacks. I love goldfish, cheez-its, etc. I cook healthfully for my husband and me, but it's the extras that seem to be a problem for me. I get hungry in the evening. I love to snack while reading a good book. Any suggestions? I'm not a sugar addict, it's the salt that does me in!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh yeah... those lovely, crunchy nuggets of salty goodness . Definitely my weekness too.

I suspect the best strategy is substitution. Instead of goldfish and cheez-its (OK, now you got my cravings going), try popcorn. There are a couple of low fat microwave varieties out there. To be honest they aren't quite as good as the fully fatted variety, but my taste buds adjust over time. You might try fixing a deliberate snack like laughing cow cheese on a low carb cracker to enjoy rather than keeping a bowl of snacks next to while you read or watch TV. I've heard some people recommend radishes... but that just doesn't work for me, blech .

Hopefully your question will spur several more suggestion - there is a ton of wise and experienced knowledge here.

BTW - good job in keeping active and your weight in check. Check back in when you find a solution that works for you. We all will want to read about it!

Originally Posted by zumbagold
Hello,

I have been on Fitday before, but didn't post on any forums. I need to lose about 15-20 lbs and am having a difficult time of it. (no surprise there..lol). I am 5' 2" and weigh 140 lbs. We live at a retirement community and exercise 3 times a week with weights, bands, etc. I need to add some aerobic conditioning also. The exercise program is excellent here and we always feel stimulated afterwards. I also garden and we are otherwise pretty active.

My weakness is salty snacks. I love goldfish, cheez-its, etc. I cook healthfully for my husband and me, but it's the extras that seem to be a problem for me. I get hungry in the evening. I love to snack while reading a good book. Any suggestions? I'm not a sugar addict, it's the salt that does me in!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

Consider healthy low calorie veggies like carrot sticks, brocolli, cauliflower, and green pepper strips. Even fruits in moderation like an apple are better than those simple carbohydrate loaded snack foods.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, yes, I know about the veggie snacks, but I'm hungry for the other ones...lol. I do eat vegetables as part of my regular diet.

Last night, I had 6 whole grain saltines with some peanut butter. That satisfied me.