Notices

Using Pumpkin to add Vit A

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Using Pumpkin to add Vit A

I just made a pretty good snack that I thought I would share.

1/2 cup of canned pumpkin - NOT pie filling (50 cals)
1 TBSP fat free cream cheese (15 cals)
1 pkg splenda
cinnamon, nutmeg and apple pie seasoning

Whip it all together and it tastes like pumpkin pie!! I used Special K multi-grain crackers to eat it and the saltiness of the crackers was great with the sweet pumpkin. I also think it would make a good dip for apples.

Anyway, thought I would share because 1/2 cup of pumpkin gives you 280% of your vitamin A and I always have a tough time with that one.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi this sounds really nice- if i cant get canned pumpkin could i use butternut squash if i freshly boil and mash?
Not sure if i will get the same vitamins but taste wise? Ive never eaten pumpkin but always wanted too just didnt know how- theyre only around in our supermarkets at Halloween!
Anybody here living in England who knows of where i can buy tinned pumpkin? Never looked for it but will when i next do the food shop
Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

Our canned pumpkin is in the cooking aisle near all the flour and sugar...in the states. It is there year round.

I don't see why you couldn't use butternut squash. They are pretty close in vitamins.....not sure about taste, but I would guess the squash would taste pretty good. I would probably bake it instead of boiling it just because I don't like boiled vegetables.

If you have a butternut squash laying around that you are trying to use, you can make squash fries. That is on my list to try and they sound really good.