Thread: net carb count
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
dread77706
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhills View Post
1. i am a newby so i am trying to learn and do right - in a low carb diet you calculate net carbs - this is calculated by carbs minus fiber minus sugar/alcohol - from what i can see fitday calculates total carbs only and does not calculate net carbs
in setting my goal of 25 net carbs per day - i need to adjust the carb count in fitday to represent net carbs
That's Sugar alcohols (maltitol, sorbitol, isomalt, and xylitol), not sugar slash alcohol.

Sugar alcohols are a class of carbohydrates called "polyols". Part of their chemical structure resembles sugar, and part of it resembles alcohol -- hence the name.
Sugar alcohols (SA) are like sugar in some ways, but they are not completely absorbed by the body, which is why they're deducted from Total Carbs.

But SAs make up such a small proportion of your diet (unless you eat a pack of 'sugar-free' gum at a sitting), you can safely ignore it.

True sugars are part of total carbohydrates and are counted. There's a separate category for true alcohols, so that's counted as well.

Quote:
2. i thought all vegs were low carb - but was surprised to see how high yellow bell peppers are - is there really 15 g carb in one yellow pepper

3, if anyone has tips as to how to make net carb diet the most effective i would appreciate the tips
thanks!
Hrrm, I only see 11.8g, -- but anyhow, Welcome to Nutrition 101

Last edited by dread77706; 05-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
dread77706 is offline   Reply With Quote