Notices

Injured Knee, putting back on weight

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Injured Knee, putting back on weight

Hi, I was running 4 times a week for 2.2 miles mornings before work. Long story short I felt my knee sore one run, then ran again on it and it really hurt after. I've since aggravated it but I need alternatives as I need to exercise.

I've got my punch bag which I use and I do push ups, weights and ab exercises. Just losing alot of extra calories but not being able to run or play with my kettelbells.

any idea?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
FitDay Member

Have you considered cycling? Low impact and burns HEAPS of calories. just a thought anyway
Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Bwest12
Have you considered cycling? Low impact and burns HEAPS of calories. just a thought anyway
Yeah I have a bike but want to rest my knee as much as possible for a while. I know its low impact but when I went swimming it hurt my knee, really needs total rest but need to exercise as gaining weight right now
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 PM
FitDay Member

i injured my knee almost 2 years ago through dancing (i went one way my knee went the other) since then i gained a load of weight. i began cycling on a static bike and slowly built up distance and hardness. I found it great exercise as it didn't aggravate the knee for the most part and if i felt a twinge I'd stop and go back later when it felt normal again. I built up to 100 miles 6 days a week as I had a special occassion to aim for and found the weight fell off from all the right places.
Another great exercise is swimming as it takes the weight of the knee altogether.

a/n if you can try walking places as much as you can providing they are not too far. If you don't move your knee it will seize up making it even more painful. Just take it easy when walking and stair climbing and slowly build up.

Last edited by shadowski; 05-09-2012 at 11:52 PM.