View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

I posted a reply in a related thread, so I'm not going to rehash that, see here

When you're starting out, bodyweight exercises are KING. You can do them anywhere and you can do them multiple times in a day, while watching tv, etc. Push-ups, squats, lunges, dips off a chair, pull-ups (shoot for one if you can't do any now) are all terrific exercises. In any case, focus on total-body movements. You want to get the most bang for your buck without wasting time. Isolation movements are useful only if you need to build specific muscles, but for maximizing fat loss, complete movements that activate several muscle groups like squats, deadlifts, rows, and push presses can't be beat.

One way I like to do intervals is by using the Tabata method. Pick any basic exercise (push-ups, squats, sprinting, jumping rope, etc.) and do it at a pace of 20 seconds ON, and 10 seconds OFF, for only four minutes. Sounds easy? Just try it. Do that twice a day every day or every other day.

I'm with cjohnson when I say FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. This is probably the single most important factor in long term success, but everyone is fixated on finding the "perfect" plan out there. The "perfect" plan is really the one you can stick to without feeling forced or frustrated.

Finally, for your sweet tooth, look into a product called Zevia. It's sugar free but sweetened with stevia, a sweet-tasting phytochemical, and erythritol, a sweet, noncaloric sugar alcohol that's absorbed and excreted in urine. It's also surprisingly filling so you don't end up eating as much later.
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote