Notices

Why is the FitDay RDA for sodium set so low??

Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why is the FitDay RDA for sodium set so low??

Here's what the bulk of most websites say about the RDA for sodium:

USRDA of Sodium
The RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of sodium is 2,400 milligrams per day. Your doctor may recommend that you consume closer to 2,000 milligrams per day. Remember that this includes table salt as well as salt that is already in foods.

So doctors may recommend 2,000 milligrams of sodium but FitDay says we should be getting 1,300 milligrams??? That's what comes up as the RDA number when I track sodium under Custom Nutrition Goals.

Why is this, FitDay?

All the other numbers for custom tracking appear to be in line with the US RDA's. Why is sodium treated so differently?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
FitDay Member

This seems to be an on going dilemma, according to my trainer in the UK it is 4000 ! go figure.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! I've heard overall Brits consume on the average more than the US, but 4 grams is crazy to suggest is the RDA. I'm sure you'll be fine with around 2300 or so.

I've seen numbers all over the place, so I don't fault FD for posting this, but I'd like to know why they chose THIS value. Yes, one site may say 1.3 grams for over 50 (that's me) but like 95% of health sites will say it's 2.3 or 2.4 grams RDA (USA).

It's darn near impossible to get to 2.3 grams or below unless one is a total vegetarian and cooks EVERYTHING, including condiments. So 1.3 grams is just way too radical to be suggesting to folks IMO.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
FitDay Member

2.3 grams is way too high from what I'm reading. The national research council recommends no more than 500mg for any age level.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1349&page=253
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM
IBswilson

1500mg is the RDA/AI for most adults under 50 (2300mg is the upper limit).

Dietary Reference Intake - Wikipedia

http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Ann...ry_Listing.pdf