Notices

New here. Need all the support I can get!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM
FitDay Member

Smile New here. Need all the support I can get!

Um, I am never good at doing this sort of stuff but I figure I would try it anyway. I am a 34 year old single mom with a very bad back. I used to be very active but after a fall at work, my body has just gone BLAH! I gained a bunch of weight from a number of things. The laying around after surgery and emotional eating were the main reasons but one that I have used as an excuse but REFUSE to use any longer is the pain I have with basic movements.

I had muti-level fusions in my back and it makes it very hard to get moving at all some days. To give you an idea, on a good day it takes me almost a half hour to just loosen up my back to get dressed.

I know the odds are against me here but I have spoken with my Dr's and they all think my "take it low and slow" starting plan is a good one.

sooooo, here I am. Day one. Problem is I don't have a drop of support and don't know anyone else who has been threw my back issues to understand the hills and mountains I have to climb to get to my goal. I just want to be healthy again. My looks mean NOTHING to me. My Dr's say that if I can lose the weight and reach the goals I have that my pain in my back and many other health issues will go away. The main one being that I just watched my Father die a year ago after suffering with Diabetes for many, many years. I am not there yet but I am riding a very thin line. I loved my Dad but I cannot let my kids watch me go out like I had to watch him. 10 years on dialysis, heart surgery's, lost a leg and half a foot... all to only lose him anyway.

I am going to do this either way but I welcome anyone who is in the same boat as me. Even if your not or you have been there, some words of encouragement would be AWESOME. Good luck to everyone and thanks for reading either way.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay missmap. I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

I am not in the same boat but have had some serious injuries that have put me in the hospital and out of commission, followed by long periods of recovery, during the past few years.

You already took the first step by deciding you want to be healthy despite your back injury. Since you have your doctors ok to exercise, I say go for it. Getting healthy so you can be there for your kids is the best gift you can give them. Think of them every time you want to give up.

Take a look around the forums and jump into a group. You will get the support from all the wonderful members that are here for the same reason, to get and stay healthy and fit.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start with your mindset. I believe that where your motivation comes from is a huge part of sustaining the success you'll have. I know that when I've lost weight for an upcoming event or just to look good for summer, I always gain it back, and in the last few months, I've felt my motivation shift from vanity to just being healthy. The external changes are just a byproduct of the new habits and changes you're making internally.

I'm so sorry about your father. I also have a diabetic father who has battled it for almost 20 years, while making no real lifestyle change. He's had a heart attack, quadruple bypass, cancer, and has been insulin dependent for about a decade. I am so sad watching him live like he is and knowing that it could have been so different for him. I also work in a diabetes research clinic, so I have daily motivation!

Also, I just wanted to let you know that I used to have back problems years ago before I exercised, and pilates changed my life. My issues were very minor in comparison to yours, and I don't want to recommend trying anything without talking to your doctor, but I had a lot of luck with Windsor Pilates. I ordered the DVDs years ago, and they had modified and shorter workouts to start. I didn't even really break much of a sweat, but it strengthened my core very quickly. It's all floor work on a mat, so I don't know if that would work for you, but I used to throw my back out regularly, and it's only happened to me once in the last five years.

I'm so glad you found fitday... it's a great resource, and can be wonderful for accountability if you use what it has to offer. I wish you lots of luck in your journey, and keep us updated on your progress!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you to both of you for your words and support! It really means a lot to me. I got a membership to the YMCA about a month ago and I go with my two kids three times a week to swim. I know it does not sound like a big step but I found out really quick that swimming is harder than it used to be. My body is so used to moving slow and if at all that just trying to keep above water for a long period of time was a work out for me.
I really need to work up the strength in my body again before I think I can really go hardcore so I just started on the bike Yesterday. I am doing the 20 mins on the 1-2 level after I swim. It was hard and hurt but I felt much better being pro-active in my cause. For once, I did not mind the pain so much because I knew it was getting me to a good place. Instead of just a reminder of the health issues I have no.
I plan on making an appointment with a trainer at the Y about what I can/cant do in the next week when I can afford it. I think they can give me tips and a good focus on what I can and should not do. Today was a hard day because I find that eating right is not hard, its affording the better foods that is the issue in my case. I decided to sit down and search the internet for some ideas to help me on that end. So far I think I am on the right track. Cant be any worse than before, right?
Again, I thank you both for your reply's because I honestly was feeling alone in this but now I have that extra push I needed. Thanks again and good luck!