Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Anyone else have a problem with Free Glumatic Acid (MSG) >

Anyone else have a problem with Free Glumatic Acid (MSG)

Notices

Anyone else have a problem with Free Glumatic Acid (MSG)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone else have a problem with Free Glumatic Acid (MSG)

About 8 months ago I came to a realization that it was MSG that was giving me major problems.After researching I have found that manufacturers ahve put this stuff in almost everything.I would love to eat some protein bars for example but there all loaded with MSG.Here are a couple links if youre not familiar with this stuff.

MSG Sources

Topics - Battling the MSG Myth
Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

I have no problem eating protein bars or protein shakes and I love chinese food.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM
FitDay Member

Smile MSG headaches

I am incredibly allergic to M.S.G. It gives me a horrible, pounding headache that lasts at least 14 - 20 hours. The symptoms are like food poisoning without vomiting. It doesn't take much, about 2 tsp. of ranch dressing has been enough to make me sick for an entire day. I just avoid as much processed food, restaurant food and eat as fresh as possible.
I have had good luck with Cliff bars, the crunchy peanut butter ones. You might want to check your local health food store. Also, look on the internet for a recipe to make your own. Hey, I think I'll do that myself!
Aloha

330 one year ago, now 250

Last edited by greenasphalt; 02-15-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: wanted to add weight
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

We'll its not good that your alergic to MSG like I am but in away getting tips like the cliff bar is what its all about,helping each other out that have the problem.I know most people dont get it at all that dont react to this stuff but those of us that are really alergic to it might just end up in the hospital like my dad did.It really is a life threating substance and still cant believe the FDA allows anyone in the US to put it in our food.I think there trying to kill us all in some way or another IMO.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

If you are having problems with MSG, then soy might be the real cause of your problems as MSG is derived from soy. You may wish to look and see if soy is the real problem. Soy is also hidden in just about everything, from bread to yogurt to fozen food. I have even found it in frozen fruit. I get pounding headaches and get asthma attacks from eating either soy or MSG.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Another thing about soy for women is that an over-abundance of soy can lead to yeast infections. Women really need to watch their soy.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Another thing about soy for women is that an over-abundance of soy can lead to yeast infections. Women really need to watch their soy.
Ah yes, but if you aren't allergic to soy it's a great way to reduce the symptoms of menopause, especially hot flashes, it's also a really good source for vitamin D. Our house was dairy-free for years because the kids were allergic to cow's milk. Never once in all that time did I get a yeast infection, and I consumed soy at every meal. My sister-in-law got all worked up when her doctor suggested that her son go on a soy-based formula, because the dairy based formula caused him to vomit non-stop. She had read somewhere that soy can cause lower fertility rates in men. My DH burst out laughing because we got pregnant with almost no effort and he drinks soy milk by the gallons.

On the MSG allergy you are not the only one to have that issue. My mom works in an ER and she said that when they get a migraine case in the door they generally treat them for an allergic reaction and frequently MSG is a factor. The good news is that if you stay away from MSG, your diet will be much healthier. It's a pain in the behind I know, but ultimately better for you in the long run. I'm allergic to lemons and morphine, which is only difficult at restaurants, the hospital and while watching the food network.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default msg triggered my migraines...

...but I'm lucky; my sensitivity increases and decreases cyclically. This has allowed me to discover that I can tell when it's in a food--sometimes I'll take a bit and just know that it's there.

Have you tried making your own bars? You can add oats, flour, dry milk, fruit juice, nuts, tvp, dash of salt, cinnamon, etc--just make them wet enough to press into the bottom of a pan, bake them on warm til they're dry, and cut them before they cool. They keep in the freezer.

If you're sensitive, you can read the label on any packaged food, then make it at home without the unpronounceables. Saves $$$, and calories, and exposure to substances with negative value.