Community
Notices

Body Fat Calipers

Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

01gt4.6 I have the same type of calipers and appreciate your post on how to find the same spot each time. I always thought I was fishing around. How often do you take a measurement?
I think my screen name led to the herb talk. Thanks for jumping in on that too Hickonthehill. Any tricks on getting my pineapple sage to come back?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Hickonthehill
hey guys, came on here to see how others are using their calipers, but the herb talk is much more interesting! we've just got rid of the last of our snow and most of my herbs in the herb garden are coming through - even the french lavender which i was sure wouldn't be coming back has got lots of new shoots coming up! I took some cuttings from my rosemary bush last year - just put 1/4 sand in with compost in a pot, take your cutting, strip off the lower leaves and plonk the cutting into the compost - making sure quite a lot of stem (but no leaves) are under the soil. They should root in a couple of weeks. This method works with most "woody" herbs I think..... Happy gardening....
Wow, thank you Hickonthehill-that really helps me. How long can the wands be? About the part that goes into the sand/compost mixture, is half of the wand too much, too little?

Isn't is great how hardy perennial herbs are? I'm glad your lavender is coming back. After trying several varieties of lavender, the french is the best for my area, too. Plus, I think that they smell the best. Have you ever propagated lavender?

HTML Code:
I am itching to get going on the garden but it is on 33 degrees out today so I have to not rush the season.
Is it as hard for you as it is for me not to rush the season when you get those first few warm spells? We're back into the 30s and it's snowing again & the annual herbs seeds were already in the ground...poor babies ...the weather here is so unpredictable, some years you can get away with it. I usually rush the season and have lost more plants that way but love the harvest & size of the plants when they get that longer growing season.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lemonthyme
01gt4.6 I have the same type of calipers and appreciate your post on how to find the same spot each time. I always thought I was fishing around. How often do you take a measurement?
I think my screen name led to the herb talk. Thanks for jumping in on that too Hickonthehill. Any tricks on getting my pineapple sage to come back?
probably once every couple weeks at most now that I've leveled off. I use to do it weekly when I was making big changes.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hey desertmountain....if you just take a cutting about 3 inches long and put just over half in the compost mix, that should do. We've had another dumping of snow this week, but it will hopefully be gone by tomorrow as I want to get my spuds and stuff planted!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Hickonthehill
Hey desertmountain....if you just take a cutting about 3 inches long and put just over half in the compost mix, that should do. We've had another dumping of snow this week, but it will hopefully be gone by tomorrow as I want to get my spuds and stuff planted!
Awesome, thank you - sounds like an easy way to have lots of new rosemary plants. Bummer about the snow - after I posted here we've had a couple more snows & it's down in the 30's at night again. I was hoping for early Spring planting, but it just isn't going to happen this year. Good luck with your garden and have fun working out (the best workout on the planet is gardening IMO) with the plants.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Default Wow news flash!!!

I've been coming up with 12.7% when I measure myself with my accu-measure. I just joined a gym and when in for my fitness check. I was measured in 4 different areas and he came up with 21%, I was floored!!!! He then measured it with a handheld electronic device and he came up with 14%. I could see me being close to 14% but 21%????