Notices

What's for Breakfast??

Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default What's for Breakfast??

One of my biggest struggles with weight loss is coming up with healthy alternatives for meals. Often what I think is healthy turns out to be full of hidden fat and calories or I find one thing that works and eat it so many times I get sick of it!! It would be so helpful to me to see what others are eating so I can hopefully gain new ideas to keep my menus from repeating too often.

So, I ask you....what's for breakfast??

I had coffee with stevia, a whole wheat tortilla with a few tbsp of eggs (I raise hens so they are free range and organic), a tbsp of cheese and sausage with a side of mixed fresh fruit (melon, pineapple and strawberries)

This is a little on the heavy side for what I'd like but I'm stuck in a rut and need new ideas!!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, I have several "usual" breakfasts:

2 Eggs, 3oz of lean beef.

2 Eggs, 110 to 130 calorie turkey sausage (sometimes the frozen Armour ones, sometimes the Johnsonville ones).

1 Egg, slice of ham, slice of cheese on a 100 calorie "breakfast thin".

2 Frozen Eggo or Kashi WW light waffles w/.25 cup sugar free syurp, and turkey sausage.

1/2 cup steel cut oats and 1 egg.

On weekends, we often have "brunch", which is 2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon and two slices of light (35 calorie) ww toast with butter (or a 100 cal "bagel thin" w/butter).

As you can see, I prefer a fairly high protein breakfast and am not all that worried about fat (though of course, less sat fat is better).

This is what works for me and gets me though til' my snack time pretty well.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

Breakfast is important, and has been shown to not only be a factor in weight loss, but "Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry."

I have a low fat, low carb 6 ounce container of yogurt every morning with 2 tablespoons of roasted soybeans added. I've been eating this religiously as my breakfast choice since July. I usually follow that up with a banana, or on days where I'm exercising, grits or oatmeal.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I do Greek Yogurt 0% fat (with fruit on the bottom) and add a banana to it. Sometimes a banana and a 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries.

1/3 cup Bran Buds, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries

3/4 cup Peanut Butter Multi-Grain Cheerios, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, I often have a tofu scramble. Some mornings I'll have fat-free refried beans mixed with a small amount of vegan cheese and mild salsa.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

A piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, whatever I have) and 6 oz of plain low fat yogurt. Seems to work!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not a huge breakfast fan, but know that I have to eat in order to lose, so most days I have to force myself to eat. I've kind of been stuck on 2 oz of LF cottage cheese. Sometimes I'll throw in a granola bar too, just depends on how not hungry I am that morning.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

On a school day I like to have a pretty light and fast breakfast. Usually I'll have a cup of Kashi Go Lean or 1/4 cup (dry) of plain oat groats. In case you haven't tried 'em, oat groats are non-cut steel cut oats and they have a texture similar to barley. If i soak the oats in the fridge overnight, they cook in about 20-25 minutes while I'm getting ready to go. Often my breakfasts end up being two-parters on either side of my early morning class (I always think of "second breakfast" from Lord of the Rings ). The second part will usually be a refill on coffee and some Greek yogurt. This lasts me until around 1:30 or so when I like to have lunch. I wish I could eat more eggs for breakfast, but I'm kind of allergic. On weekends I like to cook baked sweet potatoes (cut into medallions) for breakfast or make a really decadent pot of oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and whatever else. Sometimes I top it with a little butter -- just like grandma used to make!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Such great ideas!! I will admit I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt...it's a bit too tangy for me!! I have noticed that when I don't eat a decent amount for breakfast I overeat for lunch so and I soooo love eggs!!
I am going to have to look into groats. I do love me some oatmeal!!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by yourbadd
Such great ideas!! I will admit I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt...it's a bit too tangy for me!! I have noticed that when I don't eat a decent amount for breakfast I overeat for lunch so and I soooo love eggs!!
I am going to have to look into groats. I do love me some oatmeal!!
I am a Greek yogurt convert, BUT I have to have the sweetened/fruity flavored stuff, I can't stomach the plain stuff, even with adding fruit. I have a 6oz. container every day for my 9:00 AM snack and it does pretty well getting me through to lunch time.

I have to have a decent breakfast--usually around 300 calories, more on weekends. It's tough to beat eggs (no pun intended), IMHO--if you're worried about the fat/cholesterol one can always toss the yolks and still get most of the protein.

"Regular" instant oatmeal doesn't seem to hold too well, but the steel cut oats have a pretty decent shot of protein and fiber. Some prunes with them are always good.

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.