Notices

doubt about running on the stairs

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default doubt about running on the stairs

I have found conflicting information online about running on stairs ( which I am using as a form of interval training) . Some say it is bad for the knees in the long run whereas others trumpet the benefits of running on stairs for weight loss and overall fitness. What do you have to say about this? Anyone exercising this way and what are the results?

thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

I run stairs all the time. The results for me are stronger legs, thighs and butt! I haven't had any knee issues from it. It's a great workout IMO.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

If you have knee issues now, they can be aggrevated by running stairs. But if your knees are in good shape, running stairs will keep them that way (IMHO).
Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I run stairs all the time. The results for me are stronger legs, thighs and butt! I haven't had any knee issues from it. It's a great workout IMO.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
If you have knee issues now, they can be aggrevated by running stairs. But if your knees are in good shape, running stairs will keep them that way (IMHO).
Umm.. I don't think I have any knee issues so far. Not that I am aware of any. Although, I am overweight, which means certain activities like skipping will automatically put extra pressure on the knees. But I guess I will continue with the staircase routine.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

If it starts hurting, that's a good sign to lay off