View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thomasanp
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy13118 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as 'tricking your metabolism.' Just as I don't think there's a broken metabolism! However, eating more one day and less the next does this: it averages out. If you eat 2000 calories one day and 1000 calories the next, the average of those two days is 1500 calories - not bad. The trick is counting your calories carefully and accurately.
Your body is made to adapt in order to survive. If you drop calories drastically too quickly then your body with start saving calories and storing them as fat because your body thinks it is starving. It is a means to survive. The same concept applies to taking in lower calories consistently..... your body gradually adapts to the change, then when you return to your regular eating habits you pack on the pounds. This is similar to training your body to sleep fewer hours through the night; your body will naturally adapt to the environment, or circumstances it is forced to endure.

In order to fight this natural occurrence diet experts suggest what is called zigzag dieting (also the same should be done with workouts; muscle confusion) To successfully loose weight you should gradually lower your calorie intake and replace what you eat with high protein and fiber to keep you more full, longer. Then when you get your calories intake where you want it, you should spike it every few days (I do this ever 3rd day or so), and once a week you should go over your necessary calorie intake; this will keep your metabolism active. Think of it as giving your metabolism a work out. Use it or loose it. The remaining time you should obviosly have lower than necessary calorie intake....a good diet has you eating 200 calories every two hour; this leads to a 1200 to 1400 calorie diet. (Eating often also helps to keep your metabolism active.
Thomasanp is offline   Reply With Quote