View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Mern, I am so sorry that a squabble between kids turned into such high drama. I agree; there are a number of ways that the situation could have been handled without involving authorities. Many things are taken way too seriously these days, and some, IMO, not seriously enough. Common sense is often lacking.

I'm not an attorney, but my primary work is with the Juvenile Court and I can honestly say that in the 11 years I've been in this area, I've never seen a 10-year old reap any severe legal consequences. I know you are in a different state, but I'm hoping it works the same way in your area. Here, the most that they would do would be to send the case through mediation at the court, which resolves the issue without trials, charges, probation, etc. And every probation officer I know would be rolling his/her eyes at the absurdity of having this in the court system to begin with. Generally, there are much bigger fish to fry than to spend resources on something like this...especially at such a young age.

I am glad to hear it was not at school, because their policies are very strict, and their consequences are likewise. I really hope that this works out all right for you and your family. Continuing prayers and hugs. Congrats for getting back on the wagon!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote