Notices

cooked apples?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default cooked apples?

I'm allergic to raw apples (and pears, peaches, nectarines, plums...) but I can eat them cooked. I'm wondering if cooking them is losing a lot of the stuff that makes them so healthy? Is making applesauce pointless or am I still getting lots of good out of it? Anyone know?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

There are lots of things you can do with cooked apples, the trick is to avoid lots of added sugar as in apple pies or fried apples.

One lovely dessert is a baked apple (or pear) with chopped nuts and dried fruit. You can either core the apple and fill the hole with nuts and fruit add a little water to dish and bake for roughly 30 minutes (it varies w/different varieties) or slice them into a custard cup or ramekin, add a little water and cover. Add a dollop of greek yogurt and you have a dessert worthy of company.

As far as nutrition... not sure, but I doubt that you would lose much of the value. In any event it is better than not eating them at all .
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I want to say the nutrition stays pretty much the same but you lose some of the fiber. I love to do apples in the crock pot...peel, cut into chunks, put in a little bit of water, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg...no sugar needed, and you can smoosh them smooth or leave chunky. I actually threw a couple pears in my batch last weekend, too.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

I was thinking I would just do the same applesauce I used to make for my kid when he was a baby: steam the apples with whatever other fruit I feel like and then throw it in the Magic Bullet. Nothing bad added, but I'm not sure what I'd lose. But, like you said, Pam, it's better than nothing.

Kiddo's mashed up pears were freakin' delicious.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I want to say the nutrition stays pretty much the same but you lose some of the fiber. I love to do apples in the crock pot...peel, cut into chunks, put in a little bit of water, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg...no sugar needed, and you can smoosh them smooth or leave chunky. I actually threw a couple pears in my batch last weekend, too.
That sounds like a great way to cook them! Crock pots are the best.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I am waiting to hear the answer.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, that sounds really awesome! I might have to try that!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

There's another site that you can use to look up apples cooked versus apples raw but I don't know if we're allowed to post the link here. Just look up nutrition data in google and you should find it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Nobe thank you for posting this. I never even thought of cooking apples, but on my diet I have to eat a lot of apples. I don't really like them so some of these recipes might be great for me. It also gave me the idea to start looking at what other things I could make with them (such as applesauce).
I've already found a homemade recipe for Taco seasoning so I eat that on like everything now. Sometimes the HCG diet sucks because you are so limited on how you can prepare things. But it's cool when I figure something out that I can easily use on and off the diet too. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!