Notices

Melatonin?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Melatonin?

Has anyone ever tried this for sleep? If so, what were your experiences, good or bad?

Thanks...
Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
FitDay Member

Melatonin is awesome. I had really bad sleep problems my son's first year, and it worked like a charm. And my dad used it when he was going through chemo last year and it was the only thing that worked. It pretty much just resets your clock and tells you that it's time to go to sleep.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Cassie, I took one tonight. It works really well. I'll still wake up during the night but I'll sleep much better. Maybe this will keep me out the kitchen.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM
FitDay Member

I found the liquid kind more effective than the pills, but the pills work too.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input. I did take one last night and I felt really lightheaded, but I also have issues with vertigo, so it could've been a coincidence. Have you ever noticed any side effects?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

It works great for me. I've never had any side effects either. And I don't wake up groggy either.

Make sure you're getting enough Magnesium in your diet. Low Mg also affects sleep as well as other things I've mentioned previously here. I've read many testimonials where people take Magnesium Citrate and their sleep is greatly enhanced.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Make sure you're getting enough Magnesium in your diet. Low Mg also affects sleep as well as other things I've mentioned previously here. I've read many testimonials where people take Magnesium Citrate and their sleep is greatly enhanced.
That is one specific supplement I do take. I know it is your personal soapbox .
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

I took an online quiz and according to it I am way lacking in calcium, magnesium and potassium. Should I take supplements or a multi vitamin?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13
I took an online quiz and according to it I am way lacking in calcium, magnesium and potassium. Should I take supplements or a multi vitamin?

You could also get this information by running FitDay's Reports.

Supplements for Calcium and Magnesium are the way to go. You'll never get the RDA's of either without eating a LOT of calories to supply you with these nutrients. But if you want to get them naturally, by all means eat a ton of food.

Potassium should be achieved naturally. I eat a sweet potato every day which supplies not only a huge amount of potassium, but it's got a robust amount of magnesium and a decent amount of calcium as well.

Multivitamins are deficient of Magnesium because Mg inhibits the absorption of calcium, so a separate supplement is needed for sure. It also needs to be timed carefully.

See this for additional suggestions for getting your potassium naturally:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post58725
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Cassie I take melatonin from time to time. I will say that I often have very vivid and strange dreams the nights that I take it. No nightmares or anything very unpleasant, but sometimes I wake up trying to figure out if whatever I was dreaming about was real of just my brain's free association .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.