Community
Notices

calorie free drinks

Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default calorie free drinks

Hi!
I am new here and I am not sure if I should be adding my coke zeros and other cal free drinks to my food log? I thought since they had no calories it wouldn't make a difference, but maybe some one can give me some insight . . .

thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

It's a matter of personal choice. Put them in if you like and it's important for you to keep track of how many you had, or leave them out if there's no particular reason to put them in.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

If you are worried about tracking your sodium then I would log them, as they can be quite heavy in that department.

I am trying to keep track of all of my nutrition stats in addition to calories, so if I do have a diet drink (especially soda) I make sure to log it. But if you are only concerned about calories, then I don't know that it's necessary.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Banned

prob good idea to log it
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Gnatt
If you are worried about tracking your sodium then I would log them, as they can be quite heavy in that department.

I am trying to keep track of all of my nutrition stats in addition to calories, so if I do have a diet drink (especially soda) I make sure to log it. But if you are only concerned about calories, then I don't know that it's necessary.
I agree, logging the sodium is important.

And a tip for you. If you're tracking your water, and you need to create a custom food for green tea for example, here's how to create it so that the custom food includes water content:

Permalink (Post #18)
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post62093
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Nah don't logg it.

It should be one thing you can drink freely and happily.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by shamans
Nah don't logg it.

I disagree. I think that tracking sodium is important and most diet sodas have 40mg or more per 12 oz can. That can really add up.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by shamans

In my opinion, only WATER fits this mindset. And not flavored water. I'm talking about REAL water, like spring water or filtered tap water.

Homemade iced tea is a close second, both green and black iced tea. Both add to your potassium amounts, which is a good thing, and it's not exactly calorie free as water.

12 oz. Black Tea approximately equals 3 calories.

12 oz. Green Tea approximately equals 7 calories.

So if a person is drinking a lot of tea, even though it's homemade and unsweetened, the calories DO add up.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
In my opinion, only WATER fits this mindset. And not flavored water. I'm talking about REAL water, like spring water or filtered tap water.

Homemade iced tea is a close second, both green and black iced tea. Both add to your potassium amounts, which is a good thing, and it's not exactly calorie free as water.

12 oz. Black Tea approximately equals 3 calories.

12 oz. Green Tea approximately equals 7 calories.

So if a person is drinking a lot of tea, even though it's homemade and unsweetened, the calories DO add up.
Home brewed iced tea (green, unsweetened) and water are primarily all I drink, and I don't track them as I never struggle to get enough water in for the day.

But I did not realize green tea had calories! Thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to look into the brand I use and see what the calorie count is, and track it.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Gnatt
Home brewed iced tea (green, unsweetened) and water are primarily all I drink, and I don't track them as I never struggle to get enough water in for the day.

But I did not realize green tea had calories! Thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to look into the brand I use and see what the calorie count is, and track it.
You're welcome. Yeah, I was under the same impression about tea for years, that it didn't have calories. As few as they are they should still be counted if one is drinking a lot of tea.

I got information about Green Tea here: Green Tea Nutrition Facts

I forget where I found the Nutrition Facts for Black Tea from, but I'm sure when I stated the calories above it is correct. I'm very careful about plugging in correct numbers to my custom foods.

Here's how I did if for green tea:

They state 100 ml has about 2 calories (or less, so I use 2). 100 ml = 3.38 ounces http://www.convertunits.com/from/ml/to/oz

therefore

2 cal/3.38 oz = x cal/12 oz ----> ANSWER: x = 7 calories

Last edited by VitoVino; 04-07-2012 at 05:10 AM.