Notices

Positive cheats?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Like I said, I also do it with my finances. I log everything that comes in and goes out on a financial site similar to this one. Say I get a $337 paycheck and buy $22 worth of groceries on the same day. I log in that I made $330, and spent $25, and bingo, I've "made" $10. It's not connected to my bank account, so according to the numbers on the site, that money doesn't exist, but eventually I'll have a big chunk of change. I have all sorts of ways of tricking myself into doing better.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

I also keep mine as accurate as I can. I think that otherwise I would play mind games with myself and "know" that I had some wiggle room, and then eat another snack. The clock in my van has been fast the whole time I've had it and I've always done the calculation to the correct time every time I look at it, so I think I'd always know how many calories I had left.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Nobe, I am like you. I keep a pretty accurate log, but if I have any doubts about a food because I don't have the exact nutritional info, I make sure i round up. I'd rather do that than think I ate 100 calories when I really ate 175!

We are all a bit different, but these little nuances all seem to work for each of us, so that is what really counts!!

Keep trekking along everybody! Have a great weekend!
Chris
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Count me in the accurate court. Because I want to know not only calories, but macro and micro nutrients, estimating up and down on different foods can give me a different image of where I stand on say protein or calcium. Not that I don't have to estimate from time to time, and like others I try to estimate high. But it is human nature to err on the side that looks better to the outside .
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Count me in the accurate court. Because I want to know not only calories, but macro and micro nutrients, estimating up and down on different foods can give me a different image of where I stand on say protein or calcium. Not that I don't have to estimate from time to time, and like others I try to estimate high. But it is human nature to err on the side that looks better to the outside .
Excellent point, Pam.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Ditto for me. Until I get a mental handle on the journey I have started I like to know everything I'm putting in to my body. That way I can improve my nutrition. Let's say I had 300 calories left over and I was low in calcium then I try pick a snack that will satisfy and give me a health benefit nutrition wise. Doesn't always work out but while I have the willpower coursing through my veins I know myself well enough to ride the willpower as long as I can.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

I think that we should do research on how personality styles (choleric, phlegmatic, etc.) affect our weight-loss and journaling habits. When I'm at goal, I guestimate--similar to what you do. But, I have found that there is carb-creep and the weight comes back on (slowly). When I notice clothes getting tight, I go back to a VERY detailed food journal...down to the tenths of a carb. If what you're doing works for you, that's great! If you find yourself in a stall (more than a few months at the same weight--and not losing inches), I would say keep a detailed food journal for a week or so.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

I think that you have a really good system nobe.

We eat out quite a bit and trying to remember later the odd bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on pasta, and thinks like a blob of sauce on a meat dish is difficult, so if there are postive cheats, then they can be used to balance a little over indulgence when foods cannot be weight before eating.

I have started at 168 lbs, and hope to get to 148 by 7th June 2012.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by volleyballgranny
I think that we should do research on how personality styles (choleric, phlegmatic, etc.) affect our weight-loss and journaling habits. When I'm at goal, I guestimate--similar to what you do. But, I have found that there is carb-creep and the weight comes back on (slowly). When I notice clothes getting tight, I go back to a VERY detailed food journal...down to the tenths of a carb. If what you're doing works for you, that's great! If you find yourself in a stall (more than a few months at the same weight--and not losing inches), I would say keep a detailed food journal for a week or so.
I do keep a detailed journal, I just say I had a bit more chocolate/cake/salad dressing/whatever than I did, and a bit less exercise than I did. Everything else is accurate.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
FitDay Member

I always think that i will eat less this time. But I am not loyal to myself. I alike paneer, cheeze always. Please I need help. What should I do????