View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3 View Post

I do the low-salt routine. I have been able to keep my sodium to 1500 per day, but it is a LOT of "from scratch" cooking, a lot of searching to find a rancher, chicken guy, pig guy, butcher... good thing there is a resurgence of the small farm/small ranch to customer business, or I would be lost. I make my own sausages, make my own "Canned soup base" for casserole cooking. I use a lot of acidic food to compensate for the "no salt blandness", lemon juices, lime, grapefruit... etc.
Excellent work, frenchhen. But you know what I get from all this? A person has to bust their butt and pull out all the stops just to meet the recommended amount of daily sodium.

I for one am convinced that 1500 is unrealistic for most people, unless of course one has doctor's orders for a low sodium diet. 2300 mg/day is a much more realistic goal. It's not that difficult to keep it at 2100-2600.

So long as the potassium level is consistently at 4700 or above, this amount of sodium should be OK. For the last two months my average potassium has been 5,870 mg/day while my sodium has been 2360 mg/day. It took a while, but a ratio like this is pretty good.

My secret for potassium sources? Sweet potatoes (almost every day), broccoli, carrots, V8 (low sodium), and "No Salt"

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote