Notices

new, off to a slow start

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default new, off to a slow start

Hi all..
i've been working up to this for a while now. i quit smoking 9 months ago, to start. it wasn't for health reasons, but since then, i've been gradually becoming more interested in health. i've been in and out of relative shape since then, peaking, probably, last fall, but now i'm as far out of shape as i've been, at 29 pounds over my ideal weight. but more significant than the extra pounds and the comments from my wife about it is my lack of energy and general motivation that i've been feeling this spring. there is a lot going on in my life right now, and i've laid one hell of a foundation, i think, but i seem to be stuck. and i suspect that being out of shape, and having a poor, careless diet and an equally low attitude about exercise has a lot to do with it.

so, all that has been going on has gradually led me here. i've gotten started tracking my intake and activity her eon fitday, but i find that as motivated as i am early in the day, i tend to lose that motivation by late afternoon, and before i know it my intake far outstrips my action. so, i'm off to a slow start, but i'm still very motivated. i sense that a bit of accountability can help. i'm in a remote location, and i'm hoping to find, and provide, some of that accountability here at fitday by reaching out socially. i've been cut off, so it's easy to get up inside my head and re-justify my motives each day (which seems to begin around 2pm)..

anyways. glad to see everyone here and am glad to see this set up working out for others as well. i've recently acquired Turbulence Training as an exercise guide, and am hoping it will help, but have barely gotten started. i've been otherwise focused on my diet. vitamin and mineral wise, i'm fine. calories are through the roof, though. it seems like it's going to require a major lifestyle change to achieve my health goals.. i'm 39 now, and i've learned how difficult change at this age can be.

regards,
Ben
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome. Healthy changes to your body are going to make you feel more motivated for sure. Just take one day at a time. It's not realistic to do everything perfect when you first start. It can be overwhelming. Think positive and make small changes weekly. If you're slipping up mid day or in the evening, just tell yourself that TODAY, I'm not going to make those bad choices in the middle of the day. When you don't, it will feel so empowering. Good luck on your journey.
Lisa
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Ben,

Sounds like you have come to the right place. There are lots of members here who are very good at motivating and encouraging other members when they start to go astray.

The first thing that I would do if I were you is to try to find a distraction to keep you from that afternoon/evening binge that seems to be going on. Go for a walk, call a buddy, come here and make a post, log into fitday what you are thinking about eating so you can see how it affects the rest of your day.

Best wishes on your journey to a healthier you!
April
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the advice. Keeping this in perspective is one of those difficult challenges I have across the board. i'm going to head over to the main forum and see if there is a place to plug in. I'm still going slowly, but my calorie intake did go down from 4500 to 3500 yesterday, and i find that encouraging. I've been so feeling so tired, though, and I know that by just getting my blood flowing i can tip into a workout, but just haven't taken that first initiative. I'm a little dismayed because i checked into different exercise activities on the fitday activity log to see what they burned and it seemed like so little reward (burning calories), compared to how easy it is to overindulge and go over the top with adding calories. That was a big surprise, but it stressed to me the importance of balance in this endeavor. Balance is present across the board, in life, it seems, and health is definitely no exception.

I hope to see you all over in the boards..

Ben