Notices

Calorie intake while training for half marathon

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Calorie intake while training for half marathon

I just finished my first half marathon last weekend. I'm going to continue running them, and I really enjoy running. The issue I run into is that I have no idea how many calories I should be consuming. On my weekly runs I usually burn about 500 calories, but on my long run day (Sunday) I burn anywhere from 1000-1600 calories depending how far I go. I tend to give myself free reign on sunday to eat what I want, but maybe that is sabotaging me? Should I be sticking to 1500 calories or increasing my intake to 2500 to compensate for the hard workout. I work out a fair amount between running and lifting, but I struggle to figure out how much I should be eating. I lost about 50 pounds a few years back, and since then I eat pretty healthy. Mostly clean eating, very little processed food. But for the past year I've been packing on the pounds and I don't know why. I'm trying to get the weight off but I feel stuck. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

The critical time for re-stocking glycogen is the first two hours after a long run. Protein/carbs at a 1:4 ratio.
You should be back to your normal intake within 36 hours.

You might be gaining weight from lifting.

Are you logging your foods here? I would recommend no more than %20-25 calories from fat. That way you can eat enough carbs to fuel your running without too many calories overall.
Try to get your body fat % tested.(Water tank or calipers)
You need to know your actual lean mass before deciding how much weight you can lose. Repeated testing will show how your body composition is changing.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Keep in mind that if you're giving your body less than what it could use if it had it, it will do a lot of other things to make due off of less before losing weight.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a runner also. I know that running for a couple hours straight makes you feel entitled to eat whatever you want. Just be very careful about doing that. My first marathon that I trained for I gained 10lbs. For that very reason. There are a lot of overweight runners. I run with groups and the food that is out after these runs is just junk. Fatty and mostly sugary foods. When you're running distances your body will adapt to that. Usually your long run is a slower and steady pace. Your body learns how to store fat for fuel. My body always tends to be a little bit softer when I'm running the distances. It doesn't mean that you have to gain weight as a runner but it can be deceiving when you figure you're burning up all those calories. I would increase your calories by a few hundred and eat clean, whole foods. Good luck with all your training.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default training program for half marathon

I think there's some good advice there. Right now I am doing training program for half marathon. Hope this will help me with my fitness goal.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 10-19-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: removed link