View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
nrh322
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyBoxer View Post
How long were you on this plateau ? I have lost 10 lbs while on this diet. The 10 came off quickly (within 1 month). Want to lose another 5 to hit goal. Stuck at the same weight 3 weeks (ugh)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
I gained and lost and gained and lost the same ten pounds or so I can't count how many times over the past THREE YEARS!! I'm not sure if you can call that a plateau or just plain stagnation or what. I choose to call it a plateau because it makes me feel better about all the time I spent being just plain lazy. How'd I break through? Well, I had a couple epiphanies in life. 1) A dear friend had a stroke. She was very heavy prior to it...high blood pressure...edging towards diabetes...the whole kit and kaboodle. I didn't want to go through the same thing. 2) I got some lousy bloodwork back. I had never had high cholesterol or triglycerides or anything before. All of a sudden, I had both...along with a high C-reactive protein. It's bad enough to be fat on the outside, but being fat on the inside is scary!! 3) I asked my doctor why I wasn't losing weight (as a thyroid cancer survivor I was looking for an excuse/reason related to that) and he gave me a cold hard slap in the face of reality and told me it was because I ate too much and didn't get enough exercise.

I took those three reasons and decided to DO SOMETHING! I signed myself up for fat camp...went for just a little bit...lost some weight...got really excited...blew out my knee...got really bummed out...then dug down deep and realized that even though there are a lot of things I can't do right now, there are even more things I can do. I can't get on a treadmill, but I can choose to have grilled chicken and salad and balsamic dressing instead of a fried chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch. I can't go to a kickboxing class, but I can sit in my chair and do curls with dumbbells while I'm watching tv. I'm making little choices...little changes and they seem to be making a big difference on the scale!

Best wishes, Naomi