View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #53 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

When I first started losing weight with fitday people and would ask me "What are you doing?", I found the situation difficult too, because quite frankly I did want to talk about it, and invariably "I'm counting calories in and calories out" is a very unsatisfying answer for most people. But over and over again about 3 sentences into the conversation most people would get that "glazed over" look in their eye and cut me off at the first opportunity and change the subject or they would go in to, "oh that's not for me" excuse mode. I could never figure out if the problem was them living in a land of denial or my own dull inanity, probably a combination. So now I just say "the hard way, with good old diet and exercise". That very quickly cuts the conversation down to it's bare bones and we can move on to the next topic. And if they want to discuss it more in depth, I ask if they want the long or short version. It's very rare that I have a long conversation about diet & exercise with anyone, but it does happen every once in a blue moon. And it's not the crowd I would have guessed. Usually the ones that can and want to discuss it in-depth are the ones already living it, not the ones that need to.

Here are a pile of dumb things people have said to me:

Woman: Oh I don't have time to work out like you do, I have to go to work.
ME: Really? What are you doing at 5:00am?
Woman: Sleeping.
ME: Well that's when I work out, so actually you do have time, you just choose to sleep through it. Right?

Woman: I'm going to get that bariatric surgery.
ME: You know you might want to try the post surgery diet for a year before you make that decision and see if it's something you can stick to for the rest of your life.
Woman: OMG!!! No! Have you seen that diet? It's awful.
ME: Really? Well good luck with that.

Bank Lady: I went to that website you told me about and I don't see the diet.
ME: Um, fitday isn't a diet it's just a tool to track your calories.
Bank Lady: Well what am I supposed to eat?
ME: Whatever you want or need to make your nutritional goals, just start tracking and you'll get it figured out.
Bank Lady: I don't have time for that, I really just need a menu that I can follow.
ME: Well okay, good luck with that.

Friend: What's that website you use?
ME: fitday.com
Friend: How do you spell that?
ME: Just like it sounds f-i-t-d-a-y.com
Friend: (Not writing it down just looking blankly at me) Well I don't know if I can do that one, so-and-so said such-&-such was better.
ME: There are a bunch of calorie counting programs out there, the important thing is to find one that works for you and to use it.
Friend: I don't know if I can do that calorie counting business, I don't have time for it or working out either.
ME: Well it does take time, especially at first, but once you get the hang of logging it gets easier. Just take it in baby steps.
Friend: I don't have time for baby steps, I need to lose at least 40lbs by the wedding.
ME: Well okay then, good luck with that.

Woman: I can't eat right because_____, I can't exercise because______, I can't track my calories because______. Repeat, repeat, repeat...
ME: Have you ever stopped to listen to yourself? You're one long list of excuses, and every last one of them is hurting you.
Woman: She then gave me a blank startled look like I had slapped her and stomped off and won't talk to me anymore.
ME: Well okay then, good luck with that.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote