Notices

Calories burned with incline?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calories burned with incline?

Is there a way to track calories burned when using the incline on the treadmill? I usually walk at the 4.1- 4.2 speed and log it as 4.0. I have recently also been using the incline as well, but I can't find anything for walking speed + incline. I know I am burning more calories using the incline, but it would be nice to know how much more. Thanks!

Terri
Old 03-11-2012, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Hoping to bump this to the top and get a response! Is there a way on Fitday to calculate your calories burned while using the incline?

Terri
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe FitDay does those calculations, but there is an activity listing for Walking uphill, 3.5 mph.

Does your treadmill calculate calories burned for you? If so, and if you believe it's accurate, you can tweak one of the existing activities to make it close to the calorie burn. Those machines are limited in terms of accuracy, though, so YMMV.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

You burn the same number of calories at any given heart rate. Say you walk 1 mile in 20 minutes at a HR of 100 bpm. A mile on an incline, if it takes 30 minutes, is worth 1.5 miles on the flat.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

Adding an incline can double the calories you burn during your walk reports an article on CBS MoneyWatch. For example, if you weigh 160-lbs. and walk at a 4.0 mph pace on no incline, you will burn approximately 145 calories in 30 minutes. Raise the incline to a 5 percent grade and you will burn 243 calories in that half hour. Go up to a challenging 10 percent and burn 345 calories
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

I'm curious about this too. I have an elliptical and it always shows I burn less then what the website shows.