Notices

Do calories count?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Do calories count?

Hey all

I understand the simple rule that more calories burned than consumed = weight loss. My main reason for this post it that today I've eaten my breakfast, then went for run and had protein shake after. Then had lunch and few hours later ate some turkey followed by dinner. I have one more protein shake with milk for after my weights tonight.

I've only consumed 1440 calories, you can view my food but if not then my daily totals are : 1,440 Calories 41.9 Fat 101.5 Carb 163.4 Protein

Am I missing out by not eating more or are my numbers sufficient? I aim to eat between 1600-1800 calories a day to hit my 2lb per week target.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Every body is different. I had really good results at 1500-1600. Other do better with more, or less. It's really trial and error, up to a point. I've found that the math works out pretty close to reality if you are careful in logging your cals and have figured out your BMR and exercise accurately.

I don't really subscribe to the whole "starvation mode" idea, but I do believe that an individuals calorie level for max weight loss can vary. Oh, and different bodies also respond differently to nutritional mix. I like around a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix, but others do better with different ratios.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks that makes sense. I also had to add a couple of things I left off so consumed a bit more than I thought. Can I ask how you've worked out you BMR? Clearly what you're doing is working mate
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Slimandtonic
Thanks that makes sense. I also had to add a couple of things I left off so consumed a bit more than I thought. Can I ask how you've worked out you BMR? Clearly what you're doing is working mate
Well, again, it includes some amount of trial and error. If you put your personal info into FitDay's profile (age/height/weight and activity level) it will get you in the ballpark. Many people, though, find it a bit optimistic so we add in another 8 hours of sleep daily (and I use the "seated with some movement" activity level).

This number comes out pretty closely to what other formulas give. There is a nice formula posted in this subforum--I did take time to put it into an Excel spreadsheet and if you'd like a copy, PM me your email address and I'll gladly send it to you.

Once you get this figure, track your calorie deficit and weight loss for a couple of weeks and see if the number jive. If not, adjust up or down. You do need to weigh and measure all your food accurately for this to work.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks very much.

I'm training quite a lot at the moment and just aiming to get down to 167 lbs. Once I'm there I'll look at getting more exact with my diet, my friends qualifing as a personal trainer and gives me some good advice. I had a cheeky weigh in this morning and I'm down 2 lbs so it appears I'm going alright. Playing golf tomorrow, then two days golf sunday monday with a nights stay and a few drinks. I'm seriously tempted to just drink diet coke but we'll see. I'll weigh myself sunday before I leave so I know my weight then again tuesday morning which will be my weigh in day.

I'm seriously impressed with your weightloss. You got any comparison photos? If not no worries
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks a lot for sharing such an interesting post. High levels of fruits, vegetables, greens and beans help you lose weight because they are low in calories, high in volume and high in critically important nutrients.