View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

WW has never lost its calorie basis. When you eat x number of points, it always ends up being y number of calories, more or less. The 'more or less' part stays within limits that still allow you to lose weight. They don't perform any kind of magic on calories and they are the first to tell you that. What's the focus is behavior. That's what meetings are about. There's a certain amount of 'how can I do this' discussion. There's a lot of motivational talk about being able to do something toward a goal without self-sabotage.

If you eat enough protein and fiber, you won't be hungry, and the low-caloric-density foods give you lots of variety of taste. That's how points tend to get 'weighted' but you can never eat a lot of either protein or fiber and have calories disappear from the equation. I found a very high fiber cracker (GG crackers, at Whole Foods) that is pretty much rye pressed into a sheet form... when I looked up the points, it was 0 points. No surprise there. It was relatively low in calories but seemed to be almost all fiber! How likely am I to overeat that to the point that it takes me beyond my calorie limit? Not likely - my body would be in some kind of appetite-revolt before I could do that.

What's in the protein? Fat (as in marbled meats) That's not going to be a bargain for points. If it's a lean meat (or fish, or cheese), that allows you more points to spend elsewhere in your daily menus. Point-wise, it is going to look better. But, no surprise - that lean meat is fewer calories 'for your buck' so to speak. It does come down to math, ultimately. Fat is not taboo - but it counts in nature and in points - it's more than twice the calories as the same amount of protein or carbs. Eat it if you want, count it, and see if you can live with just that dominating your calorie allowance. That's the accountability part of dieting, with emphasis on acCOUNTability.

This is all stuff you learn using fitday, anyway. WW just offers support for that.

I don't know for sure, but it may be that WW also encourages a basic one-a-day type supplement these days. Not more than 100% of the RDA for various vitamins and minerals - I vaguely remember that being mentioned in a meeting. (There's an online WW that I can go to for the answer,though - WW is online for people who want to do the plan but can't go to meetings... although I would miss the 'weigh in' if I did that.)
They don't go beyond recommending what is currently recommended for daily RDA (vitamin D recommendations are changing, and that has been discussed in meeting, because the change to the recommendation is happening in the medical world). Not only does it take emphasis away from the goal of the meeting (support) to devote time to looking at current vitamin/mineral research, but it's something they would say is probably a good discussion to have with a doctor, not them.

My doctor already tests for vitamin D. We already had that discussion!

I've been at a meeting where a member wanted to just do one older variation of the WW plan and the answer was 'fine.' Sticking to the plan, which is always counting, counting, counting.... is what makes it work. Hence the support group. If you don't stick to it, it won't work. That's true of any diet that manages calories, right?

The money doesn't bother me. If I couldn't do their meetings, I'd go to any of the WW-like programs (TOPS, OA, etc.) One thing I've come to appreciate is their WW cookbooks, which make it a lot easier to cook something good and know the points/calories. I have never paid the full price for a WW cookbook - Amazon offers books at discount prices. The very old WW cookbooks can be found at library book sales.
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote