View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

I still go to WW and do fitday, also. One thing I have to point out is that calories are not the main topic in WW (behavioral techniques, finding ways to avoid overeating those calories is). However, WW is upfront about points being calories, however weighted to encourage fresh unprocessed foods with more emphasis on filling low-density foods. This doesn't mean you can't eat high-density caloric foods, just that you know they are!

I went to WW in the very early days (my early days, at least) when you checked off items from food groups, even a certain number of glasses of water! Even then, the message was that calories underly the WW philosophy. The 'eat less and move more' message is more contemporary to WW - for a long time, the message seemed to be that 'Well, just eat less and that's enough of an effort that you will see good results...' In, I'd say the last 10 years, exercise has been slowly introduced. It's enough of the WW platform now that you can 'earn' some more points to spend at meals just because your exercise level is high enough to warrant that.

What's really shocking, to most people, is what WW will tell you about how many calories, really, you must expend to be able to 'eat extra calories/points. At one meeting, our WW group leader explained how much you could eat after walking the length of a football field. I don't think it was worth a medium-sized apple! Calories are certainly mentioned and stressed. But what stumps most people is their own behavioral patterns when presented with some delicious calorie-rich temptation. And especially some blindness about portion sizes that to me is the most difficult obstacle to 'seeing calories on the plate.'
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote