Notices

Newbie Looking To Gain Muscle...

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Sweet potatoes fit this bill.

It's also my understanding that Fish Oil helps to control blood sugar spikes, and that why it's yet ANOTHER good reason to supplement with FO daily.

Also, look into Chromium (specifically chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate) which helps with insulin sensitivity. It helps in this area as well.
The Calories to protein ratio isn't quite what I need. I'll definitely add sweet potatoes as part of my diet due to it's healthiness, but I definitely need something higher in calories and lower in protein. Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

You're concerned with sugar spikes. I gave you the real tips that aren't as well known.

For foods it's easy enough to Google. For example this is great information here:

Bodybuilding Foods
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
You're concerned with sugar spikes. I gave you the real tips that aren't as well known.

For foods it's easy enough to Google. For example this is great information here:

Bodybuilding Foods
Actually, my concern about sugar spikes is second to my concern regarding the consumption of too much protein (I don't want to sit in "the john" all day). I only want to eat 143g of protein a day. But to eat 5,000 calories, I'll be consuming much more than that on the foods I am currently eating. So, without eating foods that will cause sugar spikes (like ice cream, pie, etc) I'd like some high-calorie foods that are low in protein, make sense?

If you look at the page you sent me regarding the skinny guy's muscle building diet, it confirms what I am saying. Direct quotes:

"Eat Meat-Nothing says muscle gain more then a nice protein-rich juicy steak. Foods like meat are packed with protein and often contain all 8 essential amino acids for building muscle. Shoot for 1 gram of protein per body-weight each day as this is the max amount that can be fully utilized by the body."

and

"Your daily caloric intake is roughly 15 times your current bodyweight. If you were to add 500 calories to this number it is possible to gain up to 1lb of lean muscle every week!"

I am 143lbs X 15 = 2,145

However, with my job(outside carpentry work), you can add 3,324 calories burned, which makes:
5,469 + 500 = 5,969

Now, that is a LOT of calories. So unless I've done this wrong, I'll be eating almost constantly AND I'll be getting WAY to much protein.