Notices

How can I...?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Post How can I...?

How can I set up a exercise that I can increase as I get used to it? and how do I get heart rate up, when I don't go out and don't have a treadmill or anything?

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Well, first- almost any exercise can be modified to make it harder as you get more fit. If you run or bike or do any cardio- go faster or longer. The same principle can be applied to strength training. If doing 10 pushups is a challenge now, do that. When that becomes easier, work on doing 15 pushups, and then keep adding reps. This can be applied to any body weight exercise- pushups, crunches, lunges, squats, rows, bench presses, chest flys, bicep curls, whatever- without access to barbells (though some you will need dumbbells at least!)

As for getting your HR up- why not go out?! If you can, go for walks and runs outside. The sun will do you good too If for whatever reason that isn't an option (but don't be making excuses!), try jump rope or a workout DVD. You might not be ready for INSANITY, but you could try some Kathy Smith aerobics- a little dated but fun nonetheless. Jumping jacks, tae bo, running in place, dancing- you have a lot more options than you might think.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by tazi2012
How can I set up a exercise that I can increase as I get used to it? and how do I get heart rate up, when I don't go out and don't have a treadmill or anything?

Any ideas?

It kind of depends on your starting level and your goals. Are you a walker/runner, or do you love the video challenges. If weights are your game then that is a whole different set of goals. So tell us where you are starting from, and where you are hoping to go.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

The Royal Canadian Air Force Exercise book was published years ago. It does exactly what you describe: gives you indoor exercise that starts very easy and then slowly, over weeks of daily exercise, increases repetitions, until you graduate to a slightly modified, more challenging version of the same exercise. It takes probably 15 minutes or so (as I recall) to do the short routine but you do it EVERY day.

Look for the book, used, at library book sales (sometimes you can find a copy) or buy a used paperback copy on Amazon.

5BX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

describes it well.