View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Thanks, folks. I'm going to try one tonight.

Darlene, I can suggest a couple...this I posted before, but one of my favorite things is to take chicken breasts (can be frozen, even) and dump a jar of salsa over them; cook on low 6-8 hours or high about 4 hours, then shred; you can use in tacos, burritos, taco salad, etc. I love to do the taco salad; it's a ton of protein and still pretty low calorie, like Michael's chili.

I also do chicken and dumplings; it's not a real calorie bomb, either;

1 potato, peeled and sliced (I usually leave this out bcs to me it's redundant with the dumplings, but YMMV)
3 carrots (I just throw in a bunch of baby carrots)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz chicken broth (I usually end up adding more)
1/4 C. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. dried thyme leaves
1/8 t. pepper
1.5 - 2 lbs chicken (I use breasts but can use anything)
9 oz. package frozen peas (I usually just throw in whatever leftover veggies I have)

In crock pot, combine chicken broth, flour, and seasonings; whisk until smooth. Add carrots, onion, and potato if using. Add chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or until chicken is done; pull chicken apart with forks into chunks of desired size. Sometimes I check it halfway through and if it seems a little thin, I dissolve a bit of cornstarch in some additional broth and stir it in. Toward the end of cooking, add other veggies; turn to high. Add dumplings (see below) and cook on high 20-30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through and fluffy.

I use this recipe for dumplings, but I am still kind of poking around to see if there's one I like better: Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

(Yes, Michael, I love the allrecipes site, too ).

Terri, I'm just still so tickled about your cooking prowess .

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote